Biggest tires / lowest gearing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gears

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright gang, I want to slow my Revo down (yes I know that's a foreign concept for most of you and you're saying "then why own a Revo?")

Anyhow, it handles wayyyyy better than my Tmaxx but it's way too fast in the woods. I'd like to get a set of HUGE tires and gear way down.

Traxxas offers the 40t spur and a 14t clutch bell - but searching online this morning I saw the 42t hardened setup and a 13t matching bell.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Thanks

Gears

If it's too fast in the woods already, are you wanting to increase acceleration or increase top speed by changing the gearing? If you want to slow it down, you should practice driver control with your transmitter. That will help a lot.

it would seem to have a 14:40 gear racio would make it go faster pluss with bigger wheels

With the gearing that you are talking about it will accelerate MUCH faster and yes the top end will be slower but if you want to take it into consideration, the "huge" tires will give some of that top end back. (lager the tire faster the top end)

its not a matter of driver control, 30+mph in tight wood trails - not a raked track - is just plain too fast to enjoy. Yes, I can use part throttle and crawl around but what's the point of having a 2 speed trans if you can't use it?

dropping the clutch bell gear size lowers top speed / increases ACCELERATION, going up on the spur gear does the same thing.

Just changing the gearing would lower top speed but give even more incredible acceleration - also allowing the truck to shift into second much sooner than the WOT race up and down the street.

Increasing the tire size would put the truck's final gearing back nearer to that of a stock Revo.

My questions are:

Does anyone have any experience with the 42t steel spur and the tiny 12t?
Are they any good? or should I stick with Traxxas's 40t & 13t ?

And have any of you put larger tires on your Revo? I was looking at Kongs or Big Joes but it appears the Kongs are mostly for show.

This is a stock motor and I'm not thrashing it (bashing yes, thrashing no.)

Also, what's a 40 series tire? does that translate to a 40mm rim size?

I have big joes on my t-maxx and it works great, doesn't bottom out as much from added height, plus they are wider so it doesn't want to roll. BTW my t-maxx is SUPER heavy, tons of aluminum with a os21tm to push it all.

Thanks Jaxon - do they fit stock rims?

I have not tried to fit them on stock rims, I have them on some pretty big rims. They actually came with a t-maxx that I got along with 2 sets of stockers. The rims are bigger than my 3.3's rims and tires no doubt.

I suppose maybe I'll have to go measure my Revo rims then.

you could leave the gearing alone and change the shift point and gears inside the trans. you may be able to get what you want with that. i know you can make the truck shift sooner. they also have wide ratio and close ratio gear sets. but the racer guys would have to elaborate on that one.

People have made the 40 series tires mount on the stock revo rims but it really looks bad. The bead style don't match up and give a hacked up appearance. If I were you, I would go ahead and get a set of 40 series wheels or buy a set of tires to fit your revo wheels properly. Imex makes several as do many other manufacturers that are designed for the revo wheel.

Thanks Charlie - I hadn't seen any listing for a 3.8 rim tire other than the straight Revo stock replacement from Traxxas - Proline didn't have anything bigger OD either.

Thanks Charlie - I hadn't seen any listing for a 3.8 rim tire other than the straight Revo stock replacement from Traxxas - Proline didn't have anything bigger OD either.
Proline does have a few you can also try duratrax sold at horizon hobbies and Amazon. If your going to do a lot of speed runs would recommend the belted version. These tires are a lot bigger than stock Revo store which are depending on model I believe the 3.3 are bigger than the 2.5 my Revo is a 2.5classic and it had 5.9in outside diameter tires on it. I believe stock 3.3 are 6.3 in in diameter I just ordered a set of 3.8 duratrax hatchet MT belted and the measure about 6.7in in diameter. Will also be looking for information on gearing to avoid thrashing drive components.