Biggest motor for Slash 4x4?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there will be no semblance of an SCT truck. Already have a foam internal bumper and front splitter. This will be be a total road car, lowered a lot, with hopefully decent ground effects. I’ve had one of my Slash 2wd’s to 67mph and it was horrible. Total nail biter. One of my 4x4’s saw 76, also terrible. No blow-overs, but essentially uncontrollable. Super hard to keep in a straight line, especially the 2wd.

This guy here apparently got 120mph on his 2wd traxxas slash. He said the secret was not to add to much nose weight to keep the nose down (he added a pound of nose weight) and to have good aerodynamics to generate a lot of downforce. And that was what apparently kept it stable at 120mph.

I watched the video a while ago now so these were just the things that i remember of the top of my head. There are probably many other things that he said are important to do but i have probably forgotten them😂😂😂

Hope it all goes well😀

Yes, there will be no semblance of an SCT truck. Already have a foam internal bumper and front splitter. This will be be a total road car, lowered a lot, with hopefully decent ground effects. I’ve had one of my Slash 2wd’s to 67mph and it was horrible. Total nail biter. One of my 4x4’s saw 76, also terrible. No blow-overs, but essentially uncontrollable. Super hard to keep in a straight line, especially the 2wd.

One of the problems with any SCT or basher going fast, is the alignment is constantly whacked. You set it at a static ride height, then every bump, jump and landing dynamically changes the geometry. It will never drive straight under load with the soft long travel suspension. But even the XO-1 takes to flight.

Don't get me wrong, I love Traxxas for crawling and bashing but I just have some doubts if you want to go fast. RC Knockout did the bumper, aero, new body, suspension tuning and still took flight. If that is your goal, it's probably easier and cheaper to just start with a different platform. But if it's bashing have at it!

This guy here apparently got 120mph on his 2wd traxxas slash. He said the secret was not to add to much nose weight to keep the nose down (he added a pound of nose weight) and to have good aerodynamics to generate a lot of downforce. And that was what apparently kept it stable at 120mph.

I watched the video a while ago now so these were just the things that i remember of the top of my head. There are probably many other things that he said are important to do but i have probably forgotten them😂😂😂

Hope it all goes well😀

Wow, with a 2wd?!?! He must be a great driver, the more power you put in a 2wd Slash the harder everything is!

Wow, with a 2wd?!?! He must be a great driver, the more power you put in a 2wd Slash the harder everything is!
Yeah.... he must be a good driver!

Especially in a 2wd, because in a 2wd you practically have double the torque vs a 4wd with the same motor because you don't have to divide the torque with the front wheels. So thats why 2wd tend to wheelie more than a 4wd (plus they are lighter)

But he said in the video that it was pretty solid at those speed cuz of all the downforce. 👍

So i guess that proves if you have a 2wd slash with lots of power setup right (whether it be a bashing setup or speedrun setup) it can be stable 😀
One of the problems with any SCT or basher going fast, is the alignment is constantly whacked. You set it at a static ride height, then every bump, jump and landing dynamically changes the geometry. It will never drive straight under load with the soft long travel suspension. But even the XO-1 takes to flight.
Don't get me wrong, I love Traxxas for crawling and bashing but I just have some doubts if you want to go fast. RC Knockout did the bumper, aero, new body, suspension tuning and still took flight. If that is your goal, it's probably easier and cheaper to just start with a different platform. But if it's bashing have at it!

Yeah.... if you are trying to go really fast 120+mph probably best to just get a different platform. 😀

Here's a guy giving it his best go. Been following his build-he's doing a series of YT's. Had a bit of bad luck along the way, but gotta give it to him, he's not quitting. Learning curve on getting a 4x4 Slash to 100mph is quite steep? What is seen on this vid is the tendency to lift even without a body in place.

Good luck with your build and will follow your project with interest. Cheers. 'AC'

Poor @Dan B. He just wanted to know what size motor will fit and we are all bagging on the lack of aero on the Slash. Don't listen to us and don't give up.
Lol, I won’t. I just saw a 40mm Poseidon motor rated for 6s. They make a 42mm can good for 8s!
Slash aero is mos def terrible at speed, but this one will be “Slash based” and won’t have too many similarities with a 4x4 Slash. I’ll be using a flat aluminum chassis, front splitter, and running 4 or 5mm ride height. Haven’t decided on a body yet, but Delta has some pretty cool Porsche bodies, I really like the 917 and the 962.
And I only want to break 100mph so I can say I did it. Ain’t ever going for the 150+ club!

Lol, I won’t. I just saw a 40mm Poseidon motor rated for 6s. They make a 42mm can good for 8s!
Slash aero is mos def terrible at speed, but this one will be “Slash based” and won’t have too many similarities with a 4x4 Slash. I’ll be using a flat aluminum chassis, front splitter, and running 4 or 5mm ride height. Haven’t decided on a body yet, but Delta has some pretty cool Porsche bodies, I really like the 917 and the 962.
And I only want to break 100mph so I can say I did it. Ain’t ever going for the 150+ club!
i wanna see this rig.....

Dan B.
Nice to see you here, I go by RC Steve on the Arrma site.
Your opinions are always valued.

Back