Big Red 28

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputybill705

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Good morning everyone. I have a Big Red 28 on my MGT 4.6. The motor has been sealed and has 1 gallon or a little more through it. The problem I am having is the engine will not accelerate past have throttle when I try to lean the motor pass factory settings. The motor idles fine. I can't get the temp past 180F. I have never had a motor do this. I took the motor apart and cleaned and sealed it. Put a new glow plug and fuel line on it with no change. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure the carb is opening fully?- check your servo's. Also, have you tried checking you whole exhaust and fuel system for an air leak?- most tuning problems I've had have been fixed by fixing and air leak.

When the engine is properly warmed up, does it launch off the line without stuttering when you hit full trigger? If not, it's a LSN adjustment.
When that's been corrected you go on to the HSN for WOT.
Not getting over that low temp could be a combination of both needles.

Right!...and if it had an air leak you would be having the opposite problem

The carb does open fully. The truck launches great off the line but bogs down about 2 ft out or so. The trick has a brand new fuel tank and fuel lines on it. I have not checked the fuel system or exhaust for leaks but I will. I will update everyone with what I find. Thanks for all your help.

Check your throttle linkage for binding and full travel.

Update on the Big Red. I took the motor out of the MGT and put it in the LST2. The motor does the same thing. It bogs down if I try to lean it any from factory. I checked the MGT tank for leaks. The tank checked good. I'm thinking the carb could be bad. Any suggestions?