Big Block vs. Small Block

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBryGuy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay, rookie question: :alarm:

What is the difference in a small block and a big block? Can a big block engine fit on a small block car or visa versa? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

Some small block equipped cars have mod kits for installing a big block though with a little ingenuity you can make anything fit. Basically under a .21 is small block, .21 and up is big block.

some engine companies make big block engines in the footprint of a small block.

Small blocks pretty much stand no chance up against a big block.

I know of at least one os .15 that has the footprint of a big block. But for the most part small blocks are for 1/10 vehicles, and big blocks are for 1/8 vehicles.

OS had a lot of engines that turned out to be a flop. Remember the 4 stroke for 1/10 scale? how about those laydown engines?

Thats a very vague statement, and not true in every situation.

Okay, rookie question: :alarm:

What is the difference in a small block and a big block? Can a big block engine fit on a small block car or visa versa? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

Which rc or type of rc are you looking at and what do you plan to do with it?

Do what?

my OS .18tm revo walks my bestfriends Savage x with the 4.6 and the 3 speed. and it IS tuned

sorry, nowhere near a fair comparison. Revo, made for track. Savage, whatever it can crawl over.

Put a big block in a revo and it'll walk over you any day.

or, strap that .18 in another savage... then see who wins. see, unfair.

Last edited:
You'll want to use the appropriate small or big block engine that your car was designed to accept. There have been examples of people squeezing big block engines into cars that were meant for small blocks. Usually handling suffers because of the additional weight and raised CG of the big block engine. The drivetrain might also need to be beefed up to accept the increased power of the big block engine.

I've only owned a couple small block sirios (.12s) and they seem to rev up faster than the big blocks. BUT, they were also pushing much lighter touring cars, and not heavy buggies and monster trucks. I have also seen 1/8 scale onroads with big block engines that would rev just as fast as the small blocks. It really depends on what car the engine is going into.

sorry, nowhere near a fair comparison. Revo, made for track. Savage, whatever it can crawl over.

or, strap that .18 in another savage... then see who wins. see, unfair.

You never said anything about being fair, you just said a BB would always win.....Think before you type and learn to explain yourself

That's such a load of absolute CRAP! Unless you gear a Revo to take advantage of a BB, you're not going to see much difference between a SB and BB!

Ya I have 2 revos and a stock savage um shure ill keep up and smoke him to a extent. But really and 3 speed savage loosing to a SB. I have a really hard time with this one. My friends uncle has a 3 speed savage and I dont even want to take my truck out when he starts to drive that thing around. Maby you loosing because he has no steering being the front tires are in the air idk just dosnt sound plausable, and thats coming from a confident car driver.

Bryson

The only reason I ask is when I went to the hobby shop the guy gave me fuel for a big block motor and I wasn't sure what qualified as a big block.

The only reason I ask is when I went to the hobby shop the guy gave me fuel for a big block motor and I wasn't sure what qualified as a big block.

What engine (brand and size) do you have and what type of fuel did he give you...Brand and nitro %.

Yea, I've never heard of using a certain fuel for a certain size of engine. There is a difference between aircraft fuel and car fuel, but not in block size.

Ditto unless he was poorly using terms and making himself clear. In general you would use a higher nitro % for say a .21 than you would a .12. You can run 30% just fine in a .12 with great performance gains however you'll most likely need to shim the head. Most BB engines like a Novarossi come setup to run on 25% or 30% without having to shim.

i have a revo 3.3 stock out of the box . and a savage x ss 4.6. when we race on a dirt or blacktop surface the revo out runs the savage. in the backyard where the grass is 2 inches tall the revo can't come close to keeping up with the savage. weve done these runs over and over and thats the way it went for me. i think i will get another savage and get a .30 motor for it not that the 4.6 isnt enough but just for fun.

model 500

WOW that's cool, Drag racing.....I have a fellow savage basher we race I had a dynamite mach .26 that was totally holdin its own against his 4.6 But to kick his but from a dead stop and run 50 yards marked off, I would have to lean her out( the .26)......so I hope your not running much more than 270 cuz long exposure to high reving your big guy could and has warped a button head. ruining your seal on the glow plug and hence a problem starts to arrise.... so If more top end is what you want.....nothing beats Displacment. EVER. let me tell you your button head should be periodically checked for leading around that .001 to .003 shim guys they do not last for long....I know you guys know what I'm talkin about if not HEED this WARNING....just trying to help....