Big block in small block truck.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson243

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I have a Tamiya TerraCrusher with a small block engine(stock .18) unfortunately the previous owner sold me the truck and didn't tell me the engine was blown.

Now, I bought a .21 engine with slide carb and was wondering is this will even fit in my crusher. The hobby shop told me it is possible but will require some drilling into the chassis and everything, which I'm fine with, but I'm still unsure if this is totally possible. Everything on the truck right now is stock but I also have a full aluminum(I'm guessing) chassis that I could use.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Well, most engines can be made to work with most vehicles. But your way better off to use an engine that has the same carb and exhaust location as the old mill. Using the same type of carb helps too. That way the exhaust ends up in the stock location and minimal work needs to be done to the carb linkage. Pick up the appropriate engine mount and your set. The bigger engine would probably benefit from an exhaust system that's tuned to it. You may run into issues trying to use the old flywheel and clutch as well, so keep them in mind. Makes a stock engine sound a little more inviting, huh.:) Pictures of your rig and both engines would really help to get you heading in the right direction.

Thanks man, I figured the carb would be the biggest problem as the new motor has the proper mounts, flywheel and clutch. The truck came with a tuned exhaust for a big block motor, it should be as easy as just changing the header... if I'm not mistaken. I'll also post some pictures up tomorrow.

Last edited:
With they way it's built... I think your going to have a hard time fitting the engine in there. The terra crusher is similar to the t-maxx where the rear of the engine butts up against the rear shock tower. A BB engine is quite a bit longer and will probably require a new chassis and rear center axle to give you more length to fit it in there.

Here's a link on tamiya's site:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=43501

They have it pretty tight on space as it is:
gallery_11.jpg

Here's a photo of a 21 big block and a 18 small block:
2005-0730-Omega21byOS18cvr.jpg

The big block is also wider. Note that the exhaust comes out the rear, which will be in the way of your rear tower even more.

You would probably be time and effort ahead just to get a side exhaust 18 to put in there, like the blue one in my photo. It appears that the terra crusher is setup for a side exhaust, rotary carb engine. This one is a very solid performer:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7&P=ML

Last edited: