best tmaxx 3.3 break in method

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxxed 3.3

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi, I recently got a tmaxx 3.3 4908 for xmas, and I was wondering what's the best break in method for this truck, and also the safest in providing the longest engine life and power possible.

Help is apreciated,
Lou

these should help for all engines

sorry theres a lot to breaking in a new engine so those should help

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't it come with a manual? If not, get one and follow the break-in directions. Do what traxxas says and make sure it isn't too cold outside.

Thanks guys I just wasn't sure if the traxxas way was the best way? So do the way traxxas says?

Heat cycle method is the best out there but for TRX engines use the traxxas method.

Heat cycle method is the best out there but for TRX engines use the traxxas method.

Ok thanks, so don't do heat cycle method with the 3.3 but when I get the O.S. .21 TM, I sould use the heat cycle method?

MAN these things are a pain in the butt

The heat cycle method is the best method these days--better than the Traxxas method any day of the week and twice on Sundays. There is a reason Traxxas has an Engine Replacement Program...

Never met a 14 year old RC guru before.

Last edited:
best way to get it broke in is to give it full throttle straight into a wall....just kidding. if it came with the dvd, it should help you out a bunch.... and yeah lol they are a pain in the butt!!!

Man for me the slower the better. If you can make yourself do a slow and proper break in you will be happier in the long run. I let mine idle for about 4 tanks. Let it cool between each tank. THen i would run it about 100' and back in a circle at no more than 1/4 throttle for like two tanks. Then did 1/2 throttle for one tank. Then 3/4-full throttle in short spurts for a tank or two. It sounds like a lot but like i said i think the slower the better.

Bad idea idling for the whole tank. Just putter around at about 1/8 throttle with some short bursts to 1/4. Shut down and cool down every five minutes placing the piston at BDC. Between each tank is too long to run the engine. Run it like this for two-three tanks then start bringing her up to speed over the next two to four tanks. After that tune for speed. Simple.

Bad idea idling for the whole tank. Just putter around at about 1/8 throttle with some short bursts to 1/4. Shut down and cool down every five minutes placing the piston at BDC. Between each tank is too long to run the engine. Run it like this for two-three tanks then start bringing her up to speed over the next two to four tanks. After that tune for speed. Simple.

Ok, so now your telling me to use this method instead of the traxxas way??

Sorry for the hassle guys I just want a long lasting engine, cuz if I don't, I can say bye bye to nitro for a while.

I had a used tmaxx 2.5 with a 3.3 in it already and that engine lasted me about 6 months. I finally saved up and got a new trx 3.3 and I broke it in the way traxxas does it. After 5 tanks, I tuned for performance, gassed it and the con rod snapped, on my birthday too! Oooooo I was heated! So after 3 months without nitro I got the new 3.3 4908, and I'm just scared ill screw it up! Help is always appreciated.

Use the heat cycle method I mentioned. It will save you in the long run. Patience is key here.
Ok thanks rc addict, I will use this method when it gets warmer here, sould I make sure the engine is at a certain temp before I start it so I don't damage the piston? And what temp sould it be at when breaking it in?

THANKS A BUNCH

It should be around 200-220 while breaking it in. Just keep it on the rich side with lot's of blue smoke, but not to the point that you have raw fuel spitting out the pipe. You can use a hairdryer to warm up the head prior to firing it up and wrap the head in some aluminum foil if you want to run it in the cold.

You are welcome!

Man your good! And one more question, does it damage the piston if I turn it over without gas, and when the engine's cold?

Ok thanks rc addict, I will use this method when it gets warmer here, sould I make sure the engine is at a certain temp before I start it so I don't damage the piston? And what temp sould it be at when breaking it in?

THANKS A BUNCH

You need to wrap the cooling head to 180F before you start it.

And DO NOT plug the exhaust with you're finger before you start it. Take off the fuel line that goes to the pipe and take it off from where it connects to the pipe and then blow into it and when you see the fuel go into the carb just blow a little more to make sure the fuel gets into the engine.

And make sure you get the engine running at 200F before you stop it and let it cool down.

Good luck bud.

P.S. rc addict, I am the craziest 14 year old rc guru ever...:hehe::p:

Ok, so get the engine to 180 degrees or so before I start it, and run it at 200 degrees or so when going in circles? why not put the finger over the exaust before u start it? So it doesn't flood? YES I'M A STRAIGHT UP Noob just tryin not to skrew up again

Last edited:
The reason i say don't put you're finger over the exhaust is because you won't be heating the engine till its been primed. You could hurt the con rod because of the compression of the engine.

Just blow into the line. Its a better priming method. You're better off doing everything the safest way possible so you don't end up buying a new engine in a short period of time.

Back