Best shock upgrade for Savage X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boody1981

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Want to upgrade my shocks on my relatively stock Savage X. These black plastic shocks are just about pooped out. Also I don't want to spend a furtune on them but still have some durable adjustable shocks for big jumps.

Note. I do not race my truck on a course so there is no need for good shocks for that sole purpose, I just want good jumping shocks.

Thanks everybody.

Here are some I have found. Please comment.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110175380787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110175387822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260165812609&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Thanks

i think most of the savage guys here are still running the stockers. they are cheap and can easily take a beating. i'm running the same set of stockers for almost 3yrs. you just need to keep them clean and rebuild them every so often. If you really want to buy threaded alum ones, look at the hot bodies version. i've heard decent reports on them. stay away from the off name brands.

There are companies that use the LST shocks on e Savages and they are pretty tough. Try doing a search for LST shock upgrades for Savages. I know they exist just do not know the companies anymore. The one I wanted was from a now defunct Twisted Toys company.

I also agree that the Stocker are pretty good for bashing. I have popped a few caps but to replace them is so low, I kept using them.

ANother upgrade are 1/8th scale shocks.

thats awesome, you may have just saved me a lot of cash,
cheers
boys

Just don't go nuts on your oil weight. I don't remember what comes in them stock, but it's pretty light and it's that way for a reason. If you go heavier, you will bend shafts and have them pop apart on you more often.

you may want to get aluminum shock caps and bodies, if you want to jump you need hard springs!!!

stock shocks are perfect the only time i have seen a stock savage shock break and bend is when it was jumped off a HUGE gap, stock shocks can survive 72 foot drops!!!

youll be fine with the stock ones
just upgrade the parts

steel or titanium shock shafts
aluminum caps and bodies

the stock shocks are fine all you need is to replace them with new they can bbe found cheaply on ebay.

I race as well as bash my savage for over 5 years with the stock shocks I run 25Wt oil all around and run RCBoyz triple rate springs and have no issues taking 30 - 40 ft jumps with no problems for the track I just remove one spring from each corner to help reduce the ride height and it works like a charm.

if you run anything higher then 40Wt oil you run the risk of blowing out your shocks on jumps much over 10 ft and the handeling of the truck goes in the toilet fast.

the stock savage .21 used to ship out with 10Wt oil in the shocks I belive now they ship out with 20Wt but I could be wrong on that part.

Where do you find these "triple rate springs"? I've checked out RCboyz and ebay, can't find them anywhere.?????

I've had mine for a few years now could be that they stopped making them or have them under a different name.