best shock oil and spring setup for bashing?!?!?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeezy9183

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
as you guys may know i'm building a revo from scratch cuz everytime i run into trouble or have a question, i post something on here...lol well anyways, here goes. I've been contemplating a shock rebuild, and before i do attempt it, I wanna know the best shock oil to use for bashing. i already have all the parts to do it. i just need the oil and stiffer springs. i wanted to know what set up you guys are running and how you like it...thanks for all the input guys

as you guys may know i'm building a revo from scratch cuz everytime i run into trouble or have a question, i post something on here...lol well anyways, here goes. I've been contemplating a shock rebuild, and before i do attempt it, I wanna know the best shock oil to use for bashing. i already have all the parts to do it. i just need the oil and stiffer springs. i wanted to know what set up you guys are running and how you like it...thanks for all the input guys

There's a spring chart on traxxas.com it tells all the colors and rates. I would suggest using the stock shocks as they are but with 40-45 wt oil. If you're adding a little weight to your rig (roll cage, BB, etc) then look into some stiffer springs. You don't want it to be "jacked up"at all. It's supposed to "sag" a bit when you set it on the ground. Also keep in mind when using the heavier oil you are going to possibly break a rocker from time to time depending on how you're jumping it. Especially when doing backflips. It came with 30 wt when new, but I've been using 45 and it works great. Set your pushrods in the middle hole out back and middle or outer hole in front. Also I think progressive 2 is the best setup as well. Forget that long travel it won't handle well.

sounds good buddy. thanks a lot. 45 weight it is and i'm using the progressive 2 rockers. i also heard that the handling is pretty $hitty with the long travel rockers. later

one of the only things the LT rockers are good for is to get some SERIOUS air. But I'm running the stock springs with 40wt oil all the way around of course i have my revo lowered but the 40wt is good enough for me

i guess i'll have to do some experimenting...thanks guys

I'm using 50 wt oil with P2 rockers and the tan(23.4 lb) springs and #2 pistons out back with the green(20 lb) springs and #1 pistons in front. works great for me, but I also run with a cage and a big block. also, pushrods set in the middle holes.

mines all stock and i don't even know what springs are on there. the guy that sent me the revo had silver springs inside of the red springs on all 4 shocks. i guess that will make it a lot better for bashing. pretty cool set up. i have yet to run it and put it to the test but he claimed that it did pretty good. i can't wait to get this thing started for the first time!!!!!!!!! I wish i had a lcoal hobby shop i could go to and get all the stuff i needed instead of waiting for it in the mail!!!!

mines all stock and i don't even know what springs are on there. the guy that sent me the revo had silver springs inside of the red springs on all 4 shocks. i guess that will make it a lot better for bashing. pretty cool set up. i have yet to run it and put it to the test but he claimed that it did pretty good. i can't wait to get this thing started for the first time!!!!!!!!! I wish i had a lcoal hobby shop i could go to and get all the stuff i needed instead of waiting for it in the mail!!!!

You just don't want to stiffen it up too much. I've ruined pushrod and shock ends, rockers, rocker posts and shock shafts with just 40 wt and some serious abuse. I still run 40-45 but it can be tough on things.

what is the long travel set up used for? big air only? guys at shops i stop at say leave it stock...others say change em out...

The long travel is for crawling.

It's not a good setup for anything but adding articulation to get over obstacles. The progressive is better because the suspension gets harder as it compresses. Also the LT springs are so heavy that if you do alot of jumping you can easily tear up pushrod ends and rockers.

I tried many variations and never found one that worked well for "big" air. I've read many guys swearing by the LT rockers though... just never tried that. I tried P2's and P3's with various oils and springs. None of which ended well, so I just got in the habit of hitting big air with my aftershock or savage and staying under 4 feet of air with the revo.

Sadly, that was the main reason I got rid of the revo. Kept bending the engine bay or busting shock ends. Kind of miss it now... Kind of wish I tried the LT rockers... maybe next time.

Yeah I guess I'm not a big air guy. I like long jumps that aren't so high. I've busted rockers doing backflips and rod ends doing wheelies.

Back