best savage upgrades and carb settings

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxx.v.savage

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys I'm looking into buying a new savage maybe a 4,6 because i already know that it is reliable. but i might get a savage xl. i need to know which one is worth the money and has the best parts and upgrade, and or the best tune settings for the carb. :D

They're both solid trucks and have great features out of the box. The x and xl are great trucks but I've heard the following go wrong on them: stock radio can fail as it happens to one of my friends, if the diffs are not shimmed that can lead to failure down the road, the x has the big bore setup for shocks whereas the xl has 8 shocks, both trucks do come with hpi's best bullet proof diffs,the servos can go which is quite common, the xl handles a lot better due to its longer and wider track, the x engine has a better reputation of less worries when compared to the xl engine, the x does wheelies more imo due to it being lighter. I own an XL and 2 of my friends have the x so I seen them both in action. I think you can't lose no matter which truck you choose and happy shopping, Steve.

I have an x that i had for a year. Went on eBay got the xl tvp's, xl rear shaft and xl engine plate. I did the Ofna throttle/brake linkage upgrade, shimmed my diffs and added 60K wt diff fluid. The 2-speed has been upgraded to a 3-speed, upgraded servo and radio system. The truck was great when i got it just gets better with time and $.
I also had to get a XL roll cage but i don't like it much

Last edited:
I owned the .25 Savage, among other nitros, And I loved it. After a few years away from the hobby I came back and saw the Savage XL, I purchased one. There are a few issues right out of the box.

1. the included rollbar with engine protector is made for the X not the XL it doesn't reach the posts. There is a mod.

2. IMO the k5.9 is a pita engine not only have they had air leaks from a missing part in the mid needle setting(LHS told me this), I have always had a problem keeping a tune.

3. There is also the lean/rich tank issue. I fixed this by changing to a Ofna 053 pipe and shortening my fuel line and back pressure line as much as possible. I found that with the 053 pipe the 5.9 performs better and so did the LRP .30 spec2 i put into it.

On the positive side, It is much more stable on the ground, and can handle alot of power. The bullet proof diffs are really nice.

If you are going to switch engines and are new to RC i recommend the LRP line they differ in where in the powerband they excel the most, I picked the .30 spec2 because i wanted tons of torque and i got it.

thanks for all the help guys. i appreciate it, but when i upgrade servos and other things what else might be a good idea to upgrade like shocks or things from rpm that would be good?

I've had my x for 5 years.. many broken bevel gears ( jumps and backflips) a-arms again jumps and trees, dogbones, and spur gears.. most of the damage and broken parts are from aggressive driving. i have been sticking to stock hpi parts.

do you use rpm because they should break much at all let alone all the time. what do you think out of the savage line up is the best savage anyway, like overall for bashing, speed, and reliability.

Back