Best RtR Basher? Please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedArmy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Can't decide between the 1)Associated MGT 8.0 RTR Nitro Monster Truck, 2)CEN Racing GST 7.7 RTR Super Monster Truck or ....3)HPI Savage XL 5.9 GT Nitro Truck ...i am looking for out of the box bashing endurance. I am fairly new to RC and completely new to M/T so please point me in the right direction. Reason for the M/T is to have somthing to run and let my Rustler get built for racing...found its not the best for daily running that i do...lol... Thanks to all .

Last edited:
Have you thought about the traxxas t-maxx 2.5, or the 3.3. If you have and thought that the t-maxx wasn't for you I would deffinently go with the hpi savage.JMO

t-maxx

i have thought about the 3.3 T-maxx but it seems out of the box T-maxx is dropping the ball.. I already have a 2.5 Rustler and every single time i run it one of the stock parts breaks....both shock towers, a arms, shock caps, .....and from what i have read Traxxas seems on the lower in stock form...so i was looking into other brands.

not for nothing plastic is exactly that plastic and will break just as easy. if your bashing that hard you should probably looking into aftermarket parts anyways. i think you should be more concerned with parts availability and aftermarket options

not for nothing plastic is exactly that plastic and will break just as easy. if your bashing that hard you should probably looking into aftermarket parts anyways. i think you should be more concerned with parts availability and aftermarket options

so i take it you recommend the T-maxx? over the Savage?

i have never owned the new t maxx, but the older ones are known for being fragile. if you want a truck that you can beat the crap out of and not worry. get a savage. i beat mine with no mercy and the only thing i ever "broke" was a bent shock, snapped a dogbone, and popped some shock caps off. I've jumped mine, climbed trees, drove over 1:1 cars and went head on (accident) with a maxx.

yeah i would say go with the TMaxx or savage. i dont own either but a lot of the guys here swear by the savage. but both trucks have their allegiances. try posting something in each of the trucks forums asking about their weak points. and see what will better suit your needs

still can't decide..i have instant access to the T-maxx 3.3 and a discount...plus the aftermarket parts list is insane for Traxxas.....and already having the easy start set up for my Rustler is a part of it.....just don't want to just get the T-maxx and wish i had one of the others when i have to start up grading everthing to keep it goin....

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys for the info...gonna order the Savage XL.....trying to find actual price of it but found from $499 to $650.....?? :D

Get the XL the cheapest you can find it on eBay. The 4.6 RTR savage is just as good for a lot less also.

Good chocie at least you went with one of teh two opinions you will be happy with your purchase. CONGRATULATIONS.

Thanks guys for the info...gonna order the Savage XL.....trying to find actual price of it but found from $499 to $650.....?? :D

Sounds like the right choice. I've heard the MGT is tough as well, but I know the savage line is tough. I've had two so far and they are the toughest out of the box compared to the 2.5 maxx, revo, aftershock and LST2. I've had them all (except the LST2, a couple buddies have them).

I can't give a comparison to the genisis as I've never known anyone local that ran one.

ok last one i promise...i was looking at the prices and for what it would cost for me to get the savage xl i could put some solid upgrades on a t-maxx for the same price as just the savage...t-maxx is $399 plus a military discount...but the savage looks to be about $600.....so would the T-maxx with suspension, drive line upgrades be comparable to a Savage?

I'll never own another t-maxx as long as I live.

It takes most (if not all) of those upgrades just to make it runable for a weekend. Then, once you realize it's slow and not powerful, you will want to fit in a bigger/stronger engine. To put an engine with power in it, you have to upgrade the trans, axles and diffs.

I'd still go with a savage. Upgrades as available as a t-maxx, but you won't need nearly as many to keep it running day after day.

Back