best roll cage material

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racendad6

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I wanna make my own rollcage for my tmaxx what is some good materials to make it out of?:D

Well, my roll cage is made out of steel, so thats something you could use is like steel bars or rods, i made a body out of my roll cage using an old fuel can and no trespassing sign have pics on my profile, i found as funny as it is that you can find good rods for the r/c's in old 69' car stereo's, were they are cassettes they are loaded with rods n such...

Yea you told me that before lol and I do like yours..I found a post the other day I think it was under the savage form some guy made a nice looking one out of some kind of material couldn't remember the name

There was a guy that made his own and posted pictures under the t-maxx home made mods thread, his was nice and looked fairly simple to make, i liked his design were it was simple and had less metal were mine can be bulky and heavy....

Delrin rod for plastic and stainless tubing or rod for steel. I'm working on one right now and will post some pictures when I'm done, I'm using a mix of stainless rod and tube.

I would suggest checking out what a hard ware store might have, good hard ware stores would most likely have multiple kinds of supply's for something like that, i would find mine in a junk yard, but if one is not near then the hard ware store might have some of the things you would want....

Id think Delrin (acetal) would snap with a real good roll, but I might be wrong. Id say some 2/16-1/4(1/4 would be heavy) steel (zinc plated for looks) from home depot would work good....

I googled it to find places to buy online, but have no idea what kind of store to find it at....

It is going to be a while for the pictures to load, this is the exact cage i have...http://cgi.ebay.com/TMaxx-Green-Pow...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf469ed47 hooks to the front and rear diff halfs, pretty much the top of the bumper brackets....the pictures came out ok, but since i have put the metal on it now you can't see as much of the roll cage as before, but if you look at that roller on ebay, and compare to my pictures, you should have a god idea... :)

CIMG1171.gif
CIMG1172.gif
CIMG1176.gif
CIMG1181.gif
CIMG1182.gif
CIMG1184.gif
CIMG1186.gif
CIMG1187.gif
CIMG1188.gif

My bad, it was nylon rod I was thinking about, guys have used derin as well, it sure machines nice so it could be a little brittle. A guy in Australia makes them out of nylon, he charges $150 shipped, all his customers rave about how tough they are. I have only ever seen one go up for resale, he hangs out at savage central and quite a few guys have them. I don't think you would find it at a hardware store but it shouldn't be too hard to track down, it's not cheap though.

Language warning, here is a video to give you an idea.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Fhf1uqkGQ&feature=related"]YouTube - bullet proof savage trucks[/ame]

My bad, it was nylon rod I was thinking about, guys have used derin as well, it sure machines nice so it could be a little brittle. A guy in Australia makes them out of nylon, he charges $150 shipped, all his customers rave about how tough they are. I have only ever seen one go up for resale, he hangs out at savage central and quite a few guys have them. I don't think you would find it at a hardware store but it shouldn't be too hard to track down, it's not cheap though.

YouTube - bullet proof savage trucks

yea thats the stuff i was thinking about thanks alot

YouTube - bullet proof savage trucks

Some of the best cages you can get. I wish I could afford one of those, but I'll probably make my own instead. Nylon 6 Extruded rod, I think that's what he's using. In any case, those are about the strongest you can get. Didn't watch the video, (wasn't loading right for me) but I think there was a picture of a Savage with one of his cages, with a truck parked on top of it.

Yeah i was going to say i seen that guy drive his truck on to that r/c i mean holy cow, quite the roll cage if you can park a truck on top of it and have no damage i was amazed!

I just used some steel rod I got from Lowes Hardware. Its like 1/8 or 1/4", I can't remember right off hand. It was easy to work with and easy to bend and about 2 bucks a stick. Once it was all welded together I was impressed with how strong it is. I'm working on a new one with a pretty crazy design that I just couldnt do with plastic stuff..

i contacted that guy from australia who makes the nylon cage just too see what he was getting for one but he told me dont do traxxas just hpi so if anyone ever wanted one better gather your tools and get to work as i was watching the vids with them on youtube they are truely great looking cages that can take serious bashing

Find a plastic shop near you if they dont stock it they can get it. Some of the industrial suppliers handle it to.GRANGIRE SUPPLY OR McMaster carr supply

Find a plastic shop near you if they dont stock it they can get it. Some of the industrial suppliers handle it to.GRANGIRE SUPPLY OR McMaster carr supply

wbill thanks for the info.:) thats what I'm gonna do i really want one of those cages :D