best plug and fuel for my trx 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyke_696

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok i just got a new 4tec and i find my self wondering what the best fuel and best plug to use is can anyone shead some light on that or explain how it works ...i know how the fuel works i and traxxas says to use the topfuel but its their brand so idk if theres better out there to use or if thats best ..but plugs i dont know what would be best

I prefer byrons gen 2 33% with a cold plug. Odonnels is also a good fuel. Depending on what % nitro determines the plug. If you burn 24% or less you need a hotter plug although a medium will work. 25% or more you need a cold plug. Reason being the lower the nitro content the hotter the plug needs to be in order to burn off the higher methanol content. And with higher nitro content there is less methanol so you need a colder plug. The fluid coming out of the exhaust is oil. The byrons fuel has 16% oil and most others only have 12%. Therefore burning byrons i see more oil coming from the pipe than with odonnels or top fuel. Some guys on here burn nothing but traxxas fuel but i dont like it. Just my opinion though. I use traxxas 3232X plugs and dynamite platinum #4 medium #3 hot and #5 cold. Because i do run both 20 and 33% fuels and change the plug accordingly.

Traxxas is pretty anal about not using someone elses product for running thier product. That said Odonells 20% will work fine. The 3.3 will run fine on the Traxxas plugs but if your lookin for a beter 1 you can go with an OS #8 or a Mccoy or Dynamite will serve well too

Ok cool so that answers alot thank you so I'm gunna be running a 30 % with cold plug os is a good brand u say?

And wond less oil burn better? Or will the motor work better with more oil due to extra lube but the way I'm thinking less oil will make a better bang in the motor due to higher combustion

It all depends on the quality of oils used in the fuel mix. Guys that mix there own fuel mostly use a castor oil vs synthetic and a 6-8% oil mix. Due to castor at higher temps and rpm will protect the engine better than sythetic blends. I like the higher oil content in byrons but you can't tune depending upon a smoke trail cause you will have a good smoke trail even if your too lean. I just like the fact that its a much better fuel than traxxas top fuel. I noticed a difference immediately after changing fuels. Traxxas only requires you burn at least a 12% oil mix in fuel with their engines for warranty and support purposes i would stick with a fuel that has at least 12% oil. I'm researching threads and other sites right now on mixing my own fuel and what additives to use and have found that nitro, castor, and methanol are the 3 mains but acetone at around a 2-3% is a good one as well. But i can't just add it to mixed fuel because it will vary and change the % of each additive. So i need to mix from scratch. You will be happy with odonnels and especially Byrons tuning and performance over top fuel as it comes. Remember this though. When running a 30% it lessens your tuning window. It will be a smaller window then 20%. But more nitro equals more power also. My 2.5R runs like a bat outta hell on byrons 33% and a medium plug and it requires much smaller increments of tuning then with 20%. Just 1/16 of a turn means the difference between too rich and too lean.

I always used Sidewinder 20% on my 3.3 with no problems.

Ok cool so that answers alot thank you so I'm gunna be running a 30 % with cold plug os is a good brand u say?

I'm not sure running 30% is a good dea for that motor as they typically like to run on the hot side with 20%. Typically the higher the nitro % the higher running temps. IMO 20% would suit this rig best

---------- Post added at 6:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:49 PM ----------

And wond less oil burn better? Or will the motor work better with more oil due to extra lube but the way I'm thinking less oil will make a better bang in the motor due to higher combustion

Running a higher oil ratio will help in keeping the motor lubed properly when running. And as mentioned above the higher temps that this mill likes to produce will not go well with a lower oil %

Ok i understand that

---------- Post added at 7:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:59 AM ----------

So in performance byrons fuel is gunna dominate top fuel

Oh yes by far my friend. Even if byrons only had 12% oil it will still dominate top fuel by quality of fuel alone. You will notice a difference in performance as well as tuning from top fuel to byrons gen 2.

Does most hobby shops carry it?

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I looked it up i found 20 and 30% no 33%

Every forum is equipped with a search feature, great for finding threads and preventing useless remakes....

I use Traxxas plugs with Traxxas 20%

Odonnells 20% View attachment 11392these are the 3 fuels i run and nothing else since i changed from traxxas top fuel. The only time i will run odonnells is when my lhs is out of Byrons 20 or 33%

Last edited:
Does byrons have a 30% or was it a miss print on the site maybe i looked on amazon

Last edited:
Not that i know of. The 33% is their 30%. Just a 3% difference. I love it! It really opens my 2.5R up to its full potential.

Ok well illl look into it and see how she works ill do it with a cold and a med plug and see what i like best