Best Nitro for beginner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorsePowerKing

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
just wondering what would be the best nitro car for a beginner.

car as in onroad? or "car" as a generaization for r/c?

What do you plan to do with the r/c?

on road, hop it up and go fast, no competing

and how much does gas cost?

Well, 2 cars come to mind. You can't go wrong with either one since you'll be just putting around the street. The HPI Evo3 and the AE Nitro TC3. Advantage of the NTC3 is that it's race bre/inspired. It can be easily converted to race. The HPI Evo is not so easy. Both have good parts support and are very affordable. The Evo is RTR, the NTC3 can be bought as a kit or RTR as well.

Fuel cost depends on brand and percentage. Expect and average of $20-$25/ gallon of 20% nitro.

.....RS4's when it comes to bashing. You can get alot of upgrades and do everything from the carbon fiber look to an all aluminum anodizing nightmare :). FYI though I just had a horrible situation with HPI/HB. I've learned that they consider their products at the same level as the cheaper co's (ex: GPM) so if you can save a buck that way, I say do it...especially if its for looks over performance. But back to topic. It is possible to make the RS4 Nitro 3 fast..but as the saying goes "big speed means big money". TC3's are killer on the turns from what I've heard but since you say "no competing" I figured that wouldn't be important. My suggestion: go with an HPI 18SS or wait until they release that hopped-up HB one with all the pretty stuff already on it (i believe its the HB18SS or something along those lines...its already out in japan..so it'll be here in a few months) those are good for the price and have a WONDERFUL amount of aftermarket support. Besides, it'll be cheaper to get the 18ss than to get the evo and upgrade later. Good luck on your choice.

p.s: gas will vary among different hobby shops. I pay a flat $20 for a gallon of either O'Donnell or some trinity fuel they have there (never tried it)

That's a bit too much of a car for a beginner.

yeah,

that's waaay too much to start out with.....I'd go with one of the 2 diver stated (leaning towards the AE now since I've heard no wrong and I'm mad a HPI now lol). That link shows a perfect example of what you can do to your car as you become more experienced. That car would be useless for you IMO. You'd just spend money on replacement parts from smashing into stuff. Start small.....if you've never driven, go RTR, then sloooooowly upgrade. There's nothing I hate more than a horrible driver with a wonderful car/setup (memories of japan flash into my head as I pulled pass an FW-05r with my ole' custom racer 2 hybrid).....Good luck, keep us posted.