Best Nimh and lipo dual charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
My charger I have now is this Onyx 245 dual charger. It charges fine but the fan is making a lot of noise. Might be if the fan needs to be replaced or if there is a lot of dust in there. I did spray some compressed air in it. I will test it out when I charge batteries next time. I want to upgrade my charger anyways or buy another charger so one can stay at my house and one can come with me to my LHS. I was thinking about getting this traxxas ez-peak dual.

Steer clear from Traxxas electronics, use a Hitec charger such as this, but you need TRX charge leads here. I made the mistake of buying a Traxxas charger once, it was terrible, slow charge rate and it doesn’t show you cell voltage or IRs.

edit: Hitec chargers also have computer software that allows you to monitor LiPo cells and it has amazing safety features, I have a Hitec RDX1 Pro and it’s the best charger I have ever used!

Last edited:
I had an onyx fan since new make noise. A couple blows abd back to quiet running. Ran 10 years before the button wore.

I can't comment on dual charger as I have singles, but I too would avoid traxxas esc, servos, and chargers.

I had an onyx fan since new make noise. A couple blows abd back to quiet running. Ran 10 years before the button wore.

I can't comment on dual charger as I have singles, but I too would avoid traxxas esc, servos, and chargers.
Everyone is saying to stay away from traxxas electronics. I agree with that. When i was on the track with my slash my servo went out and it was the stock servo (the blue case 2075) At the time I was just starting out in RC and I got the traxxas 2075r black case and metal gears. I'm planning to get a new servo and throwing the traxxas ones away. I also did replace my servo in my rustler with a 25 dollar one with a red case 20kg, metal gears and waterproof. Way better than the traxxas ones stock. Both my slash and rustler has the stock xl5/titan esc and motor. I'm planning to go brushless soon and getting a hobbywing max10 combo for both cars and going 2s lipos. Are traxxas lipo batteries good?
Right now I have 3 of these amazon nimh batteries and 1 traxxas nimh battery. All of them are 8.4v 4200 mah 7 cell batteries.

I've used traxxas and venom lipos in my traxxas minis. They seem to make decent batteries.

I can't say what goes on inside, and can't prove with science. If they dint have the confusing plugs that has ballance built in, I would try them again

I'm currently on smc 3s.

Everyone is saying to stay away from traxxas electronics. I agree with that. When i was on the track with my slash my servo went out and it was the stock servo (the blue case 2075) At the time I was just starting out in RC and I got the traxxas 2075r black case and metal gears. I'm planning to get a new servo and throwing the traxxas ones away. I also did replace my servo in my rustler with a 25 dollar one with a red case 20kg, metal gears and waterproof. Way better than the traxxas ones stock. Both my slash and rustler has the stock xl5/titan esc and motor. I'm planning to go brushless soon and getting a hobbywing max10 combo for both cars and going 2s lipos. Are traxxas lipo batteries good?
Right now I have 3 of these amazon nimh batteries and 1 traxxas nimh battery. All of them are 8.4v 4200 mah 7 cell batteries.
CNHL LiPos are the way go on a budget, you may need to change the connectors on most of them, but this 3s already has the connector. Traxxas connectors are too proprietary and expensive imo. This 2s will need a Traxxas connector soldered onto it.

CNHL LiPos are the way go on a budget, you may need to change the connectors on most of them, but this 3s already has the connector. Traxxas connectors are too proprietary and expensive imo. This 2s will need a Traxxas connector soldered onto it.
Wow. 17 dollars. The traxxas batteries are 60 dollars directly from them. When I am looking for batteries I always see what connector it has and I always look for a traxxas connector. Do they make adapters instead of soldering on a new connector? I'm just seeing cause my uncle or someone at my LHS can solder one on for me.

Wow. 17 dollars. The traxxas batteries are 60 dollars directly from them. When I am looking for batteries I always see what connector it has and I always look for a traxxas connector. Do they make adapters instead of soldering on a new connector? I'm just seeing cause my uncle or someone at my LHS can solder one on for me.
I would go with the Hitec X2 AC Plus charger and I would look at either CNHL, Liperior, or Zippy Compact LiPos. So far those three brands are pretty much top dog out of all the lipos I've tested.

(That link is to Max Amps website. They currently have the X2 on sale for $100 + $10 shipping. You can have them solder up connectors on your charging leads for you for a small fee but if you have connectors and you can solder then just do it yourself imo)

Don’t use adapters, it almost started a LiPo fire and almost fried an esc. It got so hot that it melted the solder and connectors.

Speaking of Tower Hobbies putting the Hitec X2 AC Plus on sale all the time. They have it for 25% off today only sale.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...ion-multi-function-acdc-charger/HRC44270.html
It's only 15% off this time. I'd wait til they have the 25% off sale, or wait til it goes off sale, then buy it with Tower's normal 20% off coupon. Having a 15% off sale on a coupon eligible item is just stupid. They are actually raising the price with this sale 🤔

It's only 15% off this time. I'd wait til they have the 25% off sale, or wait til it goes off sale, then buy it with Tower's normal 20% off coupon. Having a 15% off sale on a coupon eligible item is just stupid. They are actually raising the price with this sale 🤔
Ooooops my bad. Typically every time they put them on sale its 25% off so I just assumed it was again. O__o

Back