Best gearing for Losi 22s drag car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulu504

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
For 132ft drag racing, is it best to gear for faster acceleration or for higher top speed?

Not too familiar with drag racing but with bashing the higher the pinion the higher the speed. The lower the pinion the less strain on the motor and lower speed a little. I only had experience with 16 to 23 tooth pinions and 83 to 90 tooth spurs. I've seen people use like 30 tooth pinions and 50 tooth spurs for speed runs.

Depends on your personal goals, Zulu.

Drag racing is a contest of acceleration. Speed is just something that happens along the way.

That said, any discussion about drag racing always seems to migrate to speed. At least on the RC side of the house anyway. That can serve as a point of confusion for a newcomer. E.T. (Elapsed Time) wins races. Speed garners bragging rights.

Zulu, you've landed in a highly challenging and rewarding part of the RC hobby. Good luck and Cheers. 'AC'

Drag racing is a contest of acceleration. Speed is just something that happens along the way.

That said, any discussion about drag racing always seems to migrate to speed. At least on the RC side of the house anyway. That can serve as a point of confusion for a newcomer. E.T. (Elapsed Time) wins races. Speed garners bragging rights.

Zulu, you've landed in a highly challenging and rewarding part of the RC hobby. Good luck and Cheers. 'AC'
Spot on. Drag racers always say torque is where it's at. That is, as long as you can hook up. So go with the lowest gear you can, without spinning the tires. I'm not an RC drag racer though, so just basing that on my old drag racing days.

Your gearing is something that has to be tuned or dialed in. Your final gearing is going to be dependent on a ton of factors. Motor, ESC, ESC & Motor settings, rollout, the list goes on.

Last edited:
Not too familiar with drag racing but with bashing the higher the pinion the higher the speed. The lower the pinion the less strain on the motor and lower speed a little. I only had experience with 16 to 23 tooth pinions and 83 to 90 tooth spurs. I've seen people use like 30 tooth pinions and 50 tooth spurs for speed runs.
Thanks
Your gearing is something that has to be tuned or dial in. Your final gearing is going to be dependent on a ton of factors. Motor, ESC, ESC & Motor settings, rollout, the list goes on.
Thanks
Spot on. Drag racers always say torque is where it's at. That is, as long as you can hook up. So go with the lowest gear you can, without spinning the tires. I'm not an RC drag racer though, so just basing that on my old drag racing days.
Thank you

Thanks
Thanks
Awesome, thanks.

I would probably start with a tooth or teo either side of the stock gearing and go from there. There are a lot of adjustments that can be made to get the car launching good. But I am guessing the stock electronics will be holding the car back more than anything. At least that is how our DR10 is. It's a pooch. On 3s, it is a handful, and a lot of fun. So our next step is go with a better motor/esc/battery, then fine tune from there. Our drag Slash has a Tekin 4.5t and RX8 in it, but we have yet to run it.it That one will be pretty scary I sm guessing.

I'd get a performance analyzer first, that way you could tell whether what you're doing is making you faster or slower