Best engine for my .15 T-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have read some of your post and I think I am going to with the O.S. .18cv-rx (s)version for my .15 maxx. I was told this was told it would bolt right in. Is this true? If not what mods do I have to do to make it work? I always had electric trucks never nitro. I traded a electric truck for this maxx. What other mods does everyone recommend? The truck has nothing done to it. All my friends and both brothers all got trucks now. They all got Monster GT's and savages and one ofna titan. The .15 has only had 5 tanks ran through it. I was told it never run right so it got put away. I want to be able to drive with all of them but not look dumb.

O.S. is a solid choice. I never had the .15 trx so I might be off base but I think it think it it came with a short crank. Ask another ,15trx T-Maxx owner like NCNitro. He will know. Maybe PM him, I am sure he will answer you quickly. I started with the 2.5 so I cannot say definitively.

The .15 Maxx does require a short crank, but you listed the (S) version so it should drop right in. I haven't looked the engine up but the other thing to consider is if it has a slide carb or rotary carb. If it's rotary, it will drop in and hook right up to your linkage. If it has slide carb, you'll have to get a slide carb conversion for it. Otherwise you're in great shape. OS engines are solid, durable and easy to tune. I think you'll like it.

Yeah, It has a rotary carb, so it will bolt right up with your old stuff. And it is side exhaust, so you dont have to worry about that. If you have stock tires, you may want to look into something that weighs a little less. Believe it or not, those stock tires are heavy!

Yes as Candyman and Humboldtblazer mentioned it uses a short crank. You can always cut the crank if you were to get the long crank version, but the (s) version will drop right in, as long as you get the rotary carb and not the slide. If not you can either add a throttle bellcrank as on the 2.5 or like I have, a JT Racing slide carb conversion kit that bolts to the engine where the engine bolts to the mount. The exhaust will bolt right up to the .18 cvrx, but if you are still running the stock pipe and header you will definately want to replace those, they will really hurt the performance of the .18

Last night I was looking around the internet and found out that traxxas offers a Lifetime Engine Replacement Plan. It allows you to exchange what engine you have for a TRX 2.5R Racing engine that powers the revo. You get it for 50% off current price. It is a no questions asked exchange. No matter how bad it is worn or damaged as long as it complete they will exchange. So from traxxas I can get the 2.5 engine, pipe, header, all nessary hardware to install, and the complete EZ-Start 2 system for $180. What is this engine like?Is it worth that or am I better off to stay with the OS .18cv-rx?

IMO, the 2.5 is crap! Very few I have seen run well, and they are a bitch to tune. OS engines are easy to tune, and hold a tune great. I would still recommend getting the OS .18 any day over the trx 2.5. Since Tower sells the OS cvrx .18 for under $100, Why would you want to put that choad of a mill in there?

Hey thanks for help. Got the O.S. orderd and is being shipped to me right now. What would the best pipe to go with? I want something that is loud.