Best brushless 4x4 short course truck? Under 400$

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbparley

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first Rc car and want to skip the brushed motors and 2wd. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

Yes, the Senton is still an option.
We run a couple of swap/mod old brushed Senton/Truggy now Brushless BLX (4x4) on carpet track and we still like it.
IMG_2504 (2).JPG

About the Slash... From my experiences at the track, the Slash 4x4 VXL's good too. On the air, I give a slight edge on the Senton/Typhon chassis and for the chicane/airpine, maybe the Slash. At the end of a lap, maybe equal...

I have a 2WD Slash for the inside dirt track, and the Slash is in front of a Senton on 2WD mode. But, for the power module, I give an overall edge for the Senton... But i really like to work on the Slash power module too...

So... Both trucks will give you a good driving (or rebuild) experience, but for maybe the "latest more update truck", I would go for the Senton.
Welcome here

note; easy to add a brace on the Senton chassis;
IMG_1802.JPG

Between the Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL or the Arrma Senton BLX, I am leaning more towards the Slash.

I have both the Slash 4x4 and the Granite 4x4 (based on the same platform as the Senton; essentially the same except shorter wheelbase, different body, and different wheels), and I think the Slash 4x4 has an overall better design, despite it being the older one. The Arrma 1/10 4x4s are a pain to work on (IMHO), since everything is meant to be held together with a minimal amount of screws, and all the parts are meant to slide together and clamp on to each other. Seems like a good design on paper to make everything easier, but is nowhere near that in reality. When you take it apart for the first time, all the parts are together very tight and are pretty darn difficult to remove. Things do get easier, but over time, if it's taken apart many times, the parts start to fit looser causing the parts to rattle around. Also, dirt and debris tend to get stuck in the gaps between parts if you run in mud and stuff (e.g. the sliding mechanism that secures the power module), which makes it annoying to work on. This is just my opinion about both cars.

Hope this helps!