Best AA batteries for receiver and transmitter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MREH

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

New to this, what are the best AA batteries for receiver and transmitter?

I have a Kyosho inferno neo 3.0.

Also would I be better with single use ones or rechargeable?

And finally, how long to they tend to last?

Many thanks

Panasonic Eneloop Pro's. Hands down the best AA rechargeable on the market.

And welcome to the forum.

I have used fujitsu rechargeable batteries on almost everything in the house for years. I really like them. I have them in all of my transmitters (except the new transmitter for the car I haven't even driven).

I’ve really noticed no difference between battery setups with my controllers.

Ok great, thanks a lot, I’ll look into them.

Roughly how long to batteries in the transmitter/receiver tend to last?

I know it depends on the type of battery you use, but do they use quite a lot of power?

Thanks
For your receiver, get a 5 cell NiMH hump pack instead, it's much safer than using loose AA batteries.
Ok, I’ll look into it.

What do you mean safer?
I have used fujitsu rechargeable batteries on almost everything in the house for years. I really like them. I have them in all of my transmitters (except the new transmitter for the car I haven't even driven).
Ok great, thanks

Battery run times dependent on the controller also. My gt5’s get 20 + hours on Amazon batteries. Where my futaba px7 gets 6-10 off a upgraded lipo. My noble runs 20+ hours with both the built in rechargeable. My axial 24 remotes last forever. Been on the same set of batteries for over a year now on my c10. Not that I use it all the time.

General rule of thumb. If it has a full color screen it won’t last as long as one without.

Track days in the summer really puts a hurting on mine. Crawling in the winter they last a lot longer.

Ok great, thanks a lot, I’ll look into them.

Roughly how long to batteries in the transmitter/receiver tend to last?

I know it depends on the type of battery you use, but do they use quite a lot of power?

Thanks

Ok, I’ll look into it.

What do you mean safer?

Ok great, thanks
It's safer because there isn't a chance of having a AA battery fall out and cause a runaway.

Battery run times dependent on the controller also. My gt5’s get 20 + hours on Amazon batteries. Where my futaba px7 gets 6-10 off a upgraded lipo. My noble runs 20+ hours with both the built in rechargeable. My axial 24 remotes last forever. Been on the same set of batteries for over a year now on my c10. Not that I use it all the time.

General rule of thumb. If it has a full color screen it won’t last as long as one without.
Oh ok great, that’s handy to know.

I’ve used the amazon ones for other things around the house and they seem ok, if they don’t use much power then they should be ok, and it’s no real hardship to charge them each time I use it to be safe.

Thanks a lot
It's safer because there isn't a chance of having a AA battery fall out and cause a runaway.
Oh I didn’t realise that was a thing!

I suppose that would be somewhat of an inconvenience 😅

Thanks a lot

MREH, my YT research supports Kevin's recommendation. Generally, AA rechargeable batteries made in Japan outperform AA's made in China.

Having just made the transition to using AA rechargeables in my radios, choices for now are off the rack from a big box store. Ray-O-Vac and Energizer. Both are down in capacity compared to Eneloop's. Both also bleed voltage in storage. The Ray-O-Vac's more so than the Energizer's. Your comment, MREH, regarding bump charging takes care of that.

Regarding a charger. One I'm using is a wall charger that charges four batteries in parallel. Takes time. Have tried using a 'square four' battery holder and charging it with my NiMh RC charger. That charges faster but the resulting voltages are not matched very closely. Think because the square four charges the four batteries in series. So that method is my Standard B, stand-by.

Hope this helps in making your decision. Good luck. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Cheers. 'AC'

I couldn't tell you if these are the best or not but to be perfectly honest, I've never said, well damn, I should have bought...........

I use these..

OIP.jpg

In 40 years of RC I have never had an AA battery fall out of my Tx. Hell, in the GT3 it takes me forever just to get them out to recharge them. Fortunately they last a very long time in that Tx.

Eneloop Pro's are 2550 mAh, and that is very close to what they actually hold, as opposed to some batteries that advertise 3000+ and only hit 1800.

I can put an Eneloop Pro in my PC mouse and use it for more than 3 days. I have tried lots of other brands in it like Duracell, Energizer, Ray-O-Vac, etc and nothing else comes close to that.

They are the battery of choice for professional photographers with power hungry camera gear. I learned about them over 6 years ago when I visited my dad's old photography partner's shop while buying a camera. The guy only sells primo camera gear and swore by the Eneloop line. Been using them ever since, and even have some over 6 years old and still going strong.

Only had that happen once. Once was enough. Back in my nitro bug days when 8xAA was the standard battery tray. They scattered about like Chinese firecrackers. Since then have never trusted a bottom loaded battery tray cover. Always rubber band them. No matter what. Image attached says nothing bad about the MT10 radio. All my Xmtr's get the same treatment. Good insurance, "just in case".

Attachments

• 20220214_131905_resize RCT.jpg
    20220214_131905_resize RCT.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 81
In 40 years of RC I have never had an AA battery fall out of my Tx. Hell, in the GT3 it takes me forever just to get them out to recharge them. Fortunately they last a very long time in that Tx.

Eneloop Pro's are 2550 mAh, and that is very close to what they actually hold, as opposed to some batteries that advertise 3000+ and only hit 1800.

I can put an Eneloop Pro in my PC mouse and use it for more than 3 days. I have tried lots of other brands in it like Duracell, Energizer, Ray-O-Vac, etc and nothing else comes close to that.

They are the battery of choice for professional photographers with power hungry camera gear. I learned about them over 6 years ago when I visited my dad's old photography partner's shop while buying a camera. The guy only sells primo camera gear and swore by the Eneloop line. Been using them ever since, and even have some over 6 years old and still going strong.
I'm talking about the receiver battery in a nitro RC.

I'm talking about the receiver battery in a nitro RC.
Oh! My bad. I wrap those with velcro. But the only nitro I have ever owned is a Jato, and last year got the Mad Crusher from TP. But my buddy always did that on his nitros, and I started doing that when I got the Jato.

Oh! My bad. I wrap those with velcro. But the only nitro I have ever owned is a Jato, and last year got the Mad Crusher from TP. But my buddy always did that on his nitros, and I started doing that when I got the Jato.
When I eventually get my first nitro (probably later this year or early 2023), I'm gonna use hump packs instead of AAs just to be safe.

In nitro rigs, the AAs have been known to fail and create runaways. Some guys just tape the cheap battery holder up and that works. I prefer the hump pack myself and do not worry about it. Well at least when I ran nitro rigs.

In nitro rigs, the AAs have been known to fail and create runaways. Some guys just tape the cheap battery holder up and that works. I prefer the hump pack myself and do not worry about it. Well at least when I ran nitro rigs.
Agree with Tunedpipe. A 5xAA hup pack worked better for me than a taped up 4xAA square pack. The hump pack gave added advantage of a longer time power supply to the receiver. Back in the day could run back-to-back heats with the hump pack. Could not do that with the 4xSquare Pack. LOS (Loss of Signal) occurred when receiver battery power went low. Think it was a 5x1600 Hump. Might have been a 5x1200. Can't remember for sure. Cheers. 'AC'