Best 4WD truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fil

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all

I'm a newbie to IC RC Cars so go easy on me...:shrug:

I'm after a 4wd stadium truck. Never put a kit together b4 so a RTR may be the best choice, not sure..

So far I came across the HPI MT2 , the Zircon , and the STADIUM FORCE

What are people's view on these?
My favourite from the above would be the Zircon just because its 1/8. Are there any other 1/8 4wd stadium trucks out there?

Any other sugestions? the bigger and the faster the better i guess...

cheers
Fil

Last edited:
Out of the ones you listed I suggest a few things, one see what your LHS has parts for becuase you will be breaking things. The second thing is what type ground will you be running on the most. I ask this because there are some very nice 2wd staduim trucks out there, and if you ever decide to race, I don't think there is a 4wd stadium truck class (don't shoot me if I am wrong)

Out of the ones you listed, I would recommend the HPI Nitro MT2 its the new version and comes with the rotostart. You will also find more hop-ups for this truck than the others you listed.

thanks for the reply.:cheers:

any other sugestions other than the above?

I would quite like it to be 4wd, to run on mud beach etc.
Would the Zircon be faster?

cheers

I have an HPI RS4 NMT (HPI-MT2 is the new version) and while it does have its drawbacks its a great truck. The MT2 is supposed to have a better engine and a bunch of the hopups that the NMT needed.

Originally posted by robriguez
I have an HPI RS4 NMT (HPI-MT2 is the new version) and while it does have its drawbacks its a great truck. The MT2 is supposed to have a better engine and a bunch of the hopups that the NMT needed.

what drawbacks are you referring to?

cheers

As far as the zircon being faster, not really, naturally it will be a little faster since the engine is a larger. There are some other things to consider when thinking about going with a larger truck, prats are more expensive, more gas, possibly more upkeep, I have never even seen a zircon car before, that alone is enough to keep me from buying one. Another interesting truck you might want to wait on is the new GS storm 1/8 stadium. This truck will likely be a very good one to go with www.horizonhobby.com

Originally posted by Ajeauxdn
As far as the zircon being faster, not really, naturally it will be a little faster since the engine is a larger. There are some other things to consider when thinking about going with a larger truck, prats are more expensive, more gas, possibly more upkeep, I have never even seen a zircon car before, that alone is enough to keep me from buying one. Another interesting truck you might want to wait on is the new GS storm 1/8 stadium. This truck will likely be a very good one to go with www.horizonhobby.com

This one?http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=GSC2005
The tires don't look as the other stadium trucks (?)

yes that one, its being called a Monster truck and also a 1/8 scale stadium struck. The 1/8 scale stadium truck class is lacking there are not a lot of 1/8 sacles labled as stadium trucks but of them this one would be the one to go with. In the furute i suspect that the 1/8 sclae stadium class well grow

this truck could also be converted to a mighty fine buggy if you ever wanted to in the future, seeing as intertest change and one RC is never enough (just ask any storm owner and they will tell you they love the the buggy version of this truck

another newbie question then...
How diferent are stadium trucks from buggies expept for wheels and body?

cheers

very diffrent a buggy is a toatly diffrent driving fill. There harder to drive and learn, but they are more forgiving on the track, extremely fast, and all buggys are 4wd most stadium trucks (that they race that is) are only 2 wd. I have always been told to learn on the stadium trucks and then graduate to the buggys.

the thing with buggys is that you really can't run on all sorts of terrin, any track of course but as far as bashing goes there somewhat limited compared to a 4wd truck

Thanks, learning bit by bit... :read:

I think I'm swaying towards the HPI MT2.

how is upgradability on these, and what is the usual upgrade path?

Cheers
:cheers:

There are TONS of upgrades available. Mostley because 90% of the parts are the same as the NMT.

I would say some good upgrades would be, brake disk (NMT comes with a plastic one...not sure what the MT2 comes with) Better servos, Alum or titanium turnbuckles or steering linkages (whatever you want to call them), Alum knuckles, front universal shafts, motor savers air filter. The MT2 supposedly has a much better suspension than the NMT but you may want to upgrade to alum shock bodies and shock towers. Some people have made skid plates and mud gards for the botom of the chassis but i dont think they are necessary. You could also do a 2 speed upgrade but witht he updated gearing and better engine you may not need to.

i would go with the nitro MT2 , it is a good truck , HPI is a good company and their cars are easy to learn on, and fast. plus the 4wd is always good.

I just recently received my MT2. I first bought a monster truck, coming into this hobby. I beleive my stadium truck is easier to drive, and a whole hell of lot easier to tune than my 2.5. I love my HPI MT2. Like Supernitro said, go with the HPI. Especially as opposed to the other trucks you mentioned.

Back