Best 1/8th buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Speed

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Fairly soon I hope to be getting a 1/8th buggy. I would like to know which one is best with still a good price tag. I would love a Hyper 7 Pro but it's pretty spendy. I am hopefully going to get a new one off of ebay but I would like to know which one I should get out of them. Is the MBX R2 the same design as other ofna buggys without the carbon fiber, graphite, hard anodized, "titaniumed" goodies? I am not new to nitro but I would like any information on them as I can get sincer there are so many of them out there. BTW: I will be using my Hyper .21 in it. :banana:

Thanks for the help

Your best bet would be to go with a more expensive mugen or kyosho, the other ofna and gs buggies just do not hold up for crap, they were not designed correctly and therefore break parts all the time. And to answer your question a mbx r2 is not even close to the hyper 7 and 9.5. The mbx r2 is based on a 5 year old design, the only thing they changed is to put pillow ball suspension on it. I would highly reccommend a kyosho or mugen. You will be spending more, but you get what you pay for. A guy i know recently bought a 9.5 rtr, and he is already sick of it and wishes he woulda bought a mugen.

A big part of picking the right buggy is how it will be used, so if you can give a little more info that would be helpful.

I am going to use it for bashing. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Even for bashing, a kyosho or mugen is the way to go. Somtimes cars take more abuse bashing than they do at a track.... You definitely want something that is going to hold up. Not only are the ofna buggies poorly designed, but their drivetrains are not very strong. The 9.5 and hyper 7 are better, but the mbx r2's drivetrain will not hold up to todays 2+ hp engines. Kyosho and mugen buggies will hold up no matter what, in my opinion a mugen is better than a kyosho, but there are others that will argue the opposite. Either or, a kyosho or mugen will be the best bang for your buck. Believe me, once you start running one of those POS ofna buggies and breaking things, your gonna know what i mean and want to switch over. And your gonna end up loosing more money than you would've if you bough a better buggy to begin with.

8th scale is a very expensive class, I spent over 1500 bucks on my buggy alone and all the things required to run it. And if money was not an option I could've easily spent 2500 with all the extra goodies that aren't needed. If a 1500 dollar buggy performs great and hold up great, you can't really expect a 500 dollar buggy to do the same. You get what you pay for.

What is wrong with the drive train? (like the weakest link?)

What problems have you had?

The biggest problem i encountered with ofna buggies drivetrain is in fact the differentials. They are a poor design and do not hold oil well at all. It leaks out fast then the diffs burn up. Also it is hard to get the suspension dialed in due to the poor quality of the shocks. There are many little things that you don't notice until you drive and work on a higher quality buggy.

Last edited:
i need a lil guidence on wats wat

a load of questions first i got a cason specter but then i found out there not that durable (the hard way) i broke the wheel axle an so i started thinkin it was a design flaw but readin wats on here an lookin at how the mugen buggies are made in the same area there made insacley the same but then the inferno an hyper 7 are made diffrently an they look a hell of alot stronger wat do u recon an how do i go about upgrading mine for strength dose it hav to b for a carson specter or do near nuff all 1/8th buggy parts fit each other?

a load of questions first i got a cason specter but then i found out there not that durable (the hard way) i broke the wheel axle an so i started thinkin it was a design flaw but readin wats on here an lookin at how the mugen buggies are made in the same area there made insacley the same but then the inferno an hyper 7 are made diffrently an they look a hell of alot stronger wat do u recon an how do i go about upgrading mine for strength dose it hav to b for a carson specter or do near nuff all 1/8th buggy parts fit each other?

Hmmm, this one was a little difficult to see through the dust, 4 1/2 years old, had to be one of the first. Second, your question is a little difficult to understand without punctuation and the mispellings. Start a new one and clean it up a bit and someone should be able to help.

Sorry brain not functioning properly, in bed with Flu. A lot of questions. I have a new (bought two weeks ago), Carson Specter, I found out that it was not that durable (the hard way) I broke the front wheel axle while running it in on flat tarmac surface,caught an imperfection in the surface while turning on full lock. I first thought it was a design flaw but reading what’s on here and looking at how the Mugen buggies are made, they look to be the same in that area.

The inferno and hyper 7 are made differently and they look a hell of a lot stronger.

Is it possible to upgrade the Carson Spectre, for strength as I intend to use it for some heavy ‘off road’ racing?.
Will items from another make fit the Carson Chassis?
If non of this is possible, what would you recommend, I have read the comments and they seem to favour the Mugen or Kyosho

eza start a new thread. This way people will have only your questions to look at.

this if for got speed. best 1/8 buggy

i havent had an experience with ofna buggies. but their engines are not too user friendly. let me rephrase: "after encountering their engines, more specifically the ofna force .15....i will never ever buy an ofna product of any kind again." before u buy it. the few bucks u save sound good. but when u use it, it bites u in the ars.

that being said. i say the best buggy on a budget rite now is the Team Losi 8ight rtr. comes with everything for 550.amazing. losi doesn't have the highest durability, but i poop u not. the finish product will make u far happier than any competing 1/8 buggy rtr's.:ninja:

i havent had an experience with ofna buggies. but their engines are not too user friendly. let me rephrase: "after encountering their engines, more specifically the ofna force .15....i will never ever buy an ofna product of any kind again." before u buy it. the few bucks u save sound good. but when u use it, it bites u in the ars.

that being said. i say the best buggy on a budget rite now is the Team Losi 8ight rtr. comes with everything for 550.amazing. losi doesn't have the highest durability, but i poop u not. the finish product will make u far happier than any competing 1/8 buggy rtr's.:ninja:

Are you an employee or owner of ultimate hobbies? If not I would strongly advise that you talk to a moderator about changing your name. I say this because people might see you as something you are not and take some of your information the wrong way. Also ultimate hobbies might not like somebody having their name in a forum. Just my .02

From what I have seen Ofna buggies are pretty tough. My buddy has a Ultra Comp LX and it just keeps taking the abuse he throws at it without a problem.

I agree on the "ultimatehobbies" name change. If you don't work for them, it's misleading.

I also agree with the comments on the Mugen and Kyosho buggies. The Ofnas which are low on the durability and quality scale. One of the largest dealers for 1/8th scale buggies, refer to Ofna as "Awfulna" (and they sell them).

Years ago I had a 9.5 "Pro" kit. I don't know why they could call it a "Pro" kit. It was the cheapest assortment of stampings and parts. I didn't even bother putting it together - just sold it. I started adding up what it would cost to upgrade to the Ofna machined parts and it exceeded the price of just buying a Prospec to start with. (And getting all the Ofna "premium" upgrades still didn't put it in the league of a Mugen.

I agree on the "ultimatehobbies" name change. If you don't work for them, it's misleading.

I also agree with the comments on the Mugen and Kyosho buggies. The Ofnas which are low on the durability and quality scale. One of the largest dealers for 1/8th scale buggies, refer to Ofna as "Awfulna" (and they sell them).

Years ago I had a 9.5 "Pro" kit. I don't know why they could call it a "Pro" kit. It was the cheapest assortment of stampings and parts. I didn't even bother putting it together - just sold it. I started adding up what it would cost to upgrade to the Ofna machined parts and it exceeded the price of just buying a Prospec to start with. (And getting all the Ofna "premium" upgrades still didn't put it in the league of a Mugen.

a lot of things have changed with the HongNor/HoBao products in the last two years, they have WAY better quality pruducts than they used to, the jammin buggy and the Hyper8 are up there with the other buggies, they handle SUPER, they are made like tanks... People needs to stop been so blind about buggies other than Mugen, Kyosho..... Hell, the buggy with the best quality parts out there is the XRay, but is it the best handling out there??, well maybe not.... The OCM buggy in another great new buggy, there are several buggies out there that can compete at the same racing level, But the bottom line is that IS UP TO THE DRIVER. Give Adam Drake a Duratrax buggy and watch him beat a lot of other great guys with it...

good buggy + good driver = success

p.s.
remember a few years back in the Buggy World Champ, when Yannick Agoin just about abused everyone in the field during practice and qualifying?? he TQ, he was fast as hell, and he was driving a Hyper7 pro. well, that tells me that it isn't the buggy...

my .02 cents

Last edited:
I'd say, to go wfind out what your local hobby shop stocks parts for.

If there's more than one, research them, compare, and just generally shop around. This is a big investment, and you want to make sure you make a good choice.

I think your best bet is the buggy that you can easily get parts for. Broken buggies are the same, if you have a lesser buggy, but can get back on the track / bash spot quicker, you're the real winner.

Good luck. I personally Looooove my XTM XT-2. Rediculous amounts of flips and wrecks on ASPHALT in 15 degree temperatures, and I only managed to break my plastic wing. The next day I bought a nylon one. 20 degrees, flipped over, and the wing DUG INTO HARD GROUND. Didn't break. Jconcepts, btw.
For $260 for an RTR to beat the crap out of, I couldn't pass it up.

Back