Benzin filter for a nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Would a benzin filter do the fuel any good? I have one laying around from some old project, and I'm looking for all the ways to keep my engine burning healthy. What do you think?

Would a benzin filter do the fuel any good? I have one laying around from some old project, and I'm looking for all the ways to keep my engine burning healthy. What do you think?

What type of filter ,fuel or air?
Filters just keep contaminants out ,if your looking for the longevity of the engine ,that revolves around your tune ,monitoring
your engine from too high of heat an what fuel you are using with the right oil content!
Also driving conditions plays a role.
A good habit to do ,is to always run the piston at bottom of the block an out of the top of the cylinder after each run
when it cools off ,this gets the piston out of the pinch in the sleeve to allow the sleeve to shrink back in which
saves the pinch from wearing out faster.

What type of filter ,fuel or air?
Filters just keep contaminants out ,if your looking for the longevity of the engine ,that revolves around your tune ,monitoring
your engine from too high of heat an what fuel you are using with the right oil content!
Also driving conditions plays a role.
A good habit to do ,is to always run the piston at bottom of the block an out of the top of the cylinder after each run
when it cools off ,this gets the piston out of the pinch in the sleeve to allow the sleeve to shrink back in which
saves the pinch from wearing out faster.

I've been looking for ways to reduce compression loss due to wear for weeks, but I've never thought of keeping the piston down for the pinch. It's an amazing tip!

I've been looking for ways t o reduce compression loss due to wear for weeks, but I've never thought of keeping the piston down for the pinch. It's an amazing tip!

I've been involved with nitro RC's for about 25 year , most of my engines are 10 year old or more ,an they all still
have good compression.
Most of my engines never have a fine tune ,however , once a descent tune is on them ,I always keep the heat down
on them ,an always ran them a little on the rich side for safety measures ,an always used a good quality fuel
with a high oil % content!
I've used several different brands through the years :Byrons ,Nitrothane ,Towers an others ,my last Gal. was Torrco fuel ,
but always made sure they had a good oil content ,I've always use 30 % nitro ,my engines don't like 20!...:p

I've been involved on tons of RC forums for the past 15 years ,an learned a lot from other forum folks an RCer's!...:cool:

I've been involved with nitro RC's for about 25 year , most of my engines are 10 year old or more ,an they all still
have good compression.
Most of my engines never have a fine tune ,however , once a descent tune is on them ,I always keep the heat down
on them ,an always ran them a little on the rich side for safety measures ,an always used a good quality fuel
with a high oil % content!
I've used several different brands through the years :Byrons ,Nitrothane ,Towers an others ,my last Gal. was Torrco fuel ,
but always made sure they had a good oil content ,I've always use 30 % nitro ,my engines don't like 20!...:p

I've been involved on tons of RC forums for the past 15 years ,an learned a lot from other forum folks an RCer's!...:cool:

First of all...10 years?! Holy...I thought only gassers can ever dream to live that far.

I also run them rich most of the time, but I turn them very slightly lean sometimes when I'm low on fuel and I can't get any more that day.
I mostly use 16% Merlin nitro on a daily basis, but I also have 20% HPI fuel for when I need speed (e.g. when racing or doing speedruns). The after-runs on my engine are extremely "detailed", I never let a single drop of moisture anywhere on the engine, not even on the outside :)

Personally, I've never run under a 20% mix but ALWAYS good oil content. As far as I am aware, anything under a 20% content is designed for air usage, not for surface. Just a heads up from what I have read etc.