beginner woes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro110

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm just starting out with a nitro car
i think i've got a AE .12 engine
i'm having so much problem starting her up. i have 3 glow plugs now and i've only been able to start her up twice now. it's done the burn-in period.
i've checked repeatedly for flooding and battery level.. but no matter how much pull it, it just won't start up. what else should i be looking for in starting it up?
i pull and pull but nothing happens :bow:

also. i think the motor calls for 15-20 nitro, what if i use 25?

and for glow plug, it recommends mccoy59, what about OS8 ? is that ok too?

Last edited:
You might try visiting the LHS that your picked up your vehicle from. I'm sure that they will be happy to help your get your vehicle running.

Make sure your fuel lines are primed. You should use some kind of transparent fuel line so you can see the fuel going into the carb. Is it hard to pull (flooded) or is it real easy to pull (probably not primed). Also use some needle nose pliers to hold your glow plug and put your ignitor onto the plug while its out of the car to make sure its lighting up. If your not getting a good glow, it might be your battery on the ignitor. Hope this helps a little.

nitro - this thread comes up alot, lol. Remember - for the engine to start it MUST have 4 things. Fuel - can u see fuel coming up the line and into the carb? Air - the air filter is clean and unobstructed? Compression - if u manually turn over the flywheel, can u feel resistance? Combustion - when u remove the glow plug, and put it on the igniter, does it golw bright?

If you have answered yes to all 4 and it still wont start, then it can only be ONE THING. the fuel / air mixture is incorrect. adjust the LSN and HSN back to factory break-in specs, then turn the HSN in 1/8turn, and start to tune from there. If all else fails, try switching to an OS A3 plug, as that is what u should be using in an AE.12 anyway. good luck, and let me know if u have any questions. I have an AE NTC3 and an AE RC10GT, so i am familar with both.

You are all forgetting one thing. THROTTLE!! Just because you normal car starts up without giving it some gas doesn't mean your nitro will.

On your radio there is an "trim" adjustment for the throttle. Turn that dial until you see the arm on the carb swing out just a little bit. Don't open it up all the way because you'll have a run-away beast on your hands after it starts.

It should fire right up with a little bit of throttle. If it wants to run away after it starts, back the trim off.

The bottom line is your carb is not tuned yet. It won't start without throttle until it is tuned. You can't tune it until you start it. See the problem?

Reset the carb to break-in settings (if it's not there already). That will provide tons of fuel (too much in fact). Prime the carb and give it a couple of yanks with the throttle on a little bit. It will fire right up.

Run the car and get it warm. If you did the break-in then it's time to tune. After you've tuned the carb, you won't have to give it throttle to start it anymore.

Good Luck and welcome!

thanks so much for the suggestions!! :worship:

I think I can say yes to the 4 part checklist.
air, compression, combustion and fuel.

well, actually i'm not too sure about the fuel. The only way i can get the nitro to pump towards the engine is by holding the exhaust hole and pulling once on the pull starter. But then I let go and don't pump any more fuel into the engine. is this wrong? i didn't want to flood it, but is it that I should pump more fuel into it before I try to start it?

in any case, I'll try tuning it! I hope I can get her started. i've got blisters already :doc: haha

u should prime the line, or as u stated - hold ur singer over the exhaust - until the fuel reaches the carb - then turn the engine over 1 more time. that should be enough. novice rb is right also, check to make sure ur carb is open the correct amount. there should be a 1/16th inch gap. if this is not what u see, adjust the idle set screw, until the carb is open the correct amount. also be aware!!!!!!! if giving the engine a lil gas when attempting to start is, DO NOT open the carb more than half way. if the engine fires and starts up while u have the carb fully open, u will damage the engine almost immediately. good luck, and let us know if u have more questions, that is why this site is here.