Beginner recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCNub

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hello Everyone,
i am new to this sport of RC and i would like someone to recommend a nitro starter kit for me. My sole purpose for getting into Nitro RC is because a friend of mine told me working on live cars would be easier if i understand how the parts work in a gas RC car as they are similar.

Thanks in Advance

-RCNub

Welcome aboard!

If you aren't sure how big you'll get into the hobby, I'd start with a big-brand RTR (ready to run) nitro truck of some sort. Trucks can go just about anywhere, making them more fun to drive/bash than a touring car (pavement only). Short Course is the rage right now, but few nitro offerings. I'd say a "stadium truck" type of truck would be nice, otherwise jump right into a monster truck. My suggestions would be either Traxxas or HPI. Two big names that have a good reputation, several truck offerings, and huge support online and at your local hobby store...

HTH...
Mark

If you want to relate r/c mechanics to full scale counterparts you may want to look into a vehicle that has the same type of components as you'd see in a full scale vehicle. So something with a transmission and a traditional drivetrain would be a nice touch. Monster trucks are great all around vehicles, can go just about anywhere and will give you probably the best overall relation to full scale. HPI Savages and Traxxas Revos are popular but if you want to save a little cash and still get something reputable there are the Traxxas T-Maxx or the always underrated Associated MMGT 3.0.

an other important thing is finding a good hobbie shop. ask Qs like how much parts stock, what brand is the most parts. also ask if they have good people to work on your cars, some times you may need help.

Welcome aboard!

If you aren't sure how big you'll get into the hobby, I'd start with a big-brand RTR (ready to run) nitro truck of some sort. Trucks can go just about anywhere, making them more fun to drive/bash than a touring car (pavement only). Short Course is the rage right now, but few nitro offerings. I'd say a "stadium truck" type of truck would be nice, otherwise jump right into a monster truck. My suggestions would be either Traxxas or HPI. Two big names that have a good reputation, several truck offerings, and huge support online and at your local hobby store...

HTH...
Mark

I'm pretty sure i will get big into this hobby haha. as far as HPI and Traxxas, i see a lot at my LHS. i will definitely consider it.

If you want to relate r/c mechanics to full scale counterparts you may want to look into a vehicle that has the same type of components as you'd see in a full scale vehicle. So something with a transmission and a traditional drivetrain would be a nice touch. Monster trucks are great all around vehicles, can go just about anywhere and will give you probably the best overall relation to full scale. HPI Savages and Traxxas Revos are popular but if you want to save a little cash and still get something reputable there are the Traxxas T-Maxx or the always underrated Associated MMGT 3.0.

Sorry for my illiteracy but I'm going to guess HPI savage and Traxxas Revo and Associated MMGT 3.0 are brand/model ? do both of those include a transmission and a drivetrain?

an other important thing is finding a good hobbie shop. ask Qs like how much parts stock, what brand is the most parts. also ask if they have good people to work on your cars, some times you may need help.

i have known my LHS for about 3 years now. they have discontinued airsoft parts that make magnificent upgrades hehe. But about 3/4th of their store is RC planes, helis, and trucks, cars. on a sidenote, the employees have hugeass buggies that look BAMF, which is also another reason that sparked my interest. as far as parts, they have 3 wall-fulls of replacement parts/ upgrade parts i think. not really sure what is what

again, thanks for all the help guys and please excuse my illiteracy on the topic :D

No worries. Everyone has to start somewhere! LOL

Yes, they are brand and model. I have the Savage. They are all available as RTR with engine/trans or electric motor/trans. Not sure of the Revo and MGT, but the Savage is a two-speed (optional three-speed)...

Good luck with the decision...

Mark

I don't have any experience with HPI, but Traxxas is very popular, and parts are aplenty at most lhs and on eBay. The Revo is an amazing mt and even has reverse if you want it

i would star out with the t maxx i started with a revo and they are alot of fun and easy to tune as the t maxx is too but when you get bored with the stock engine and you will you can build up the tmaxx alot easyer than the revo or put duel 3.3 trx motors on it with damn near all factory parts you can see a video of how to do it on you tube its awesome

If your pretty sure your jumping into the hobby to stay, there's no beating a Savage. As far as being brand new to the hobby, read, read, and read some more. Ask us any question that pops in your head as well. Read the stickys at the top of the nitro forum. Tons of need-to-know info there.

My uncle found soem old school RC's from the 1800s and he just gave me one....a Cox Bandido w/ HPI receiver, kyosho motor, and JR racing servos (i think) but the throttle servo wont work. will update on progress hehe

No worries. Everyone has to start somewhere! LOL

Yes, they are brand and model. I have the Savage. They are all available as RTR with engine/trans or electric motor/trans. Not sure of the Revo and MGT, but the Savage is a two-speed (optional three-speed)...

Good luck with the decision...

Mark

Thanks haha i will keep those in mind/write them down

I don't have any experience with HPI, but Traxxas is very popular, and parts are aplenty at most lhs and on eBay. The Revo is an amazing mt and even has reverse if you want it

cool. thanks for the tip

i would star out with the t maxx i started with a revo and they are alot of fun and easy to tune as the t maxx is too but when you get bored with the stock engine and you will you can build up the tmaxx alot easyer than the revo or put duel 3.3 trx motors on it with damn near all factory parts you can see a video of how to do it on you tube its awesome

ok i will consider that... airsoft also is a matter of tuning ease. thanks

If your pretty sure your jumping into the hobby to stay, there's no beating a Savage. As far as being brand new to the hobby, read, read, and read some more. Ask us any question that pops in your head as well. Read the stickys at the top of the nitro forum. Tons of need-to-know info there.

yeah i think I'm going to stay hehe. the owner at the lhs is chill w/ me and he let my try out his TEN brand nitro buggy. it was SWEET lol

I've been reading a whole bunch of how-tos on the forum lol but thanks for the heads up on the "stickeys" i will definitely take a look at it later.

again thanks all for the help:)

Back