Beginner Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrcia

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello everybody, I am from Iowa and I am new to the sport. I am wanting to get a car, and I want a fast one. What car is good for beginners, and also very fast? Any replies are appreciated!

I always go with the Traxxas Rustler vxl or for another $100, Slash or Stampede 4x4 vxl. Fast and plenty of parts support. Part support will be vital if you're new and have a fast rig. You will crash.:)

Fast cars aren't always the best or even good for beginners. Take a look at some hobby shop websites see what you like then go from there. If you post what want on here I'm sure many people will give opinions on whether its a good idea or bad idea.

I always go with the Traxxas Rustler vxl or for another $100, Slash or Stampede 4x4 vxl. Fast and plenty of parts support. Part support will be vital if you're new and have a fast rig. You will crash.:)

So why do you suggest electric vs. nitro?

Oh, what are good hobby websites?

Amain Hobbies and Tower Hobbies are good places to start.

The 1/10 Scale Electric Savage looks like a good starter rig and it not very expensive for a first timer.

From someone who got very frustrated and stressed out with buying a nitro first. Go electric with your first rc.

Theres two ways you can go with this. If you go nitro theres a very steep learning curve ahead of you. Not only do you need to know electronics in terms of charging different batteries(glow starter, hump pack and possibly a stick pack for models with on board starters), nitro tuning and starting procedures, and general maintenance for good running. With electric it's pretty much plug and play with some maintenance. No tuning of the engine, no need to worry about outside temps for nitro fuel to burn properly and no need to worry about charging possibly 3 batteries needed to run a nitro rig. If do you go electrtic, some of the equipment you purchase will carry over to nitro but not all of it so it's not all wasted. I personally have a fleet of 10 cars and trucks which 7 are nitro, 2 are electric and one is gasoline powered. When I want a break from mixing gasoline and oil, tuning an engine, temping an engine with a temp gun and other chores, I just plug and play. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with and welcome to the most addicting and best hobby on the planet.

i wish i got an e-revo to start with. instead i got a revo 3.3, great fun and love the noise and smell of burnt fuel. but electric would of been an easier step into the hobby. even an 1/16 e-revo would be nice... thats what I'm looking at buying next i think.