Battery Run Time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so I'm a newbie with electric vehicles but I've got Slash on the way. I'm thinking I'm going to want a better battery for longer run times. I know the higher the mAh, the longer the run time but is there any basic rule of thumb on how much time you get from a certain mAh battery?
I know it will vary some by where/how you drive but just need an idea of where to draw the line on cost vs. increase in run time.

For nimH batteries, I've never really messed with them much, however I do own a 8.4V 7 Cell 5000 maH battery. I get around 25 minutes out of it. I highly recommend you just go straight to Lipo though. It's worth it completely. As compared to that nimH battery above, I have a 2S 40C 5000 maH Lipo and I get around 45 minutes out of it, plus more power and it was only around 5 dollars more.

You will get longer run times out of a lipo and brushless setup. So really it comes down to what motor are you running/planning to run, brushed or brushless. Also what type of batteries? NiMh or Lipo? Once those two questions are answered well be able to give you a better idea of what youll get outa time.

For now I'm going to have to stay with the brushed/NiMH stuff. I don't have the coin to step up to brushless/LiPo.

I've got two 4600mah and one 5000mah nimh batts and I get pretty decent runtime, usually 10-15 minutes of mostly WOT running. I really want to get some lipos but I keep spending money on other crap. :mad:

I've got two 4600mah and one 5000mah nimh batts and I get pretty decent runtime, usually 10-15 minutes of mostly WOT running. I really want to get some lipos but I keep spending money on other crap. :mad:

Well judging from that my 1500's won't last long. I did find out I had a 2000 too.But then again,my son will be running it and right now I have programmed it for 50% for him to get used to driving it.

I think I'm going to try out the 6800's I found. They're cheap,but maybe they'll work ok.

never saw a 6800. highest I have seen is 6500's. huh?
where did you find those ?

when yo uget the chance buy a new esc and go lipo. I get like 45 min outta 5000 3s packs.

Completely depends on brand. You can take it up the hoo hoo and buy a 5000 mah 3s Maxamps for like $5500 lol, or you can get some Turnigy 3s 5000mah packs for $30 each! And I've had super great luck with them, most have.

Make sure you get a audible lipo cutoff, or cutoff of some sort, if your esc doesn't have one. Very important.

Since lipos have all the warnings and all, is it recommended to get the hard case lipo or does that even matter? I don't race or have any plans to race anytime soon. I don't want to have to worry about my trucks going up in smoke.

THX

Novak makes a low voltage cutoff that you can wire in. If your esc does not have a cutoff built in. You have to choose a 2s or 3s model as they are not adjustable. only cost like 20 bucks or so.

Back