Battery question specific to RC models that require 2 batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfella691981

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I just got the Traxxas X-Maxx 8s Rock N Roll edition. My question is if I do not have two 4s batteries can I use 1 3s 5000mah 50c battery and 1 4s 5000mah 50c battery? That would be a total of 7s that sounds odd even saying it but untill I can afford to get another battery is either do that or run 2 3s batteries.

Yes to 7 cells. no harm will happen just less torque and top speed..

Yes to 7 cells. no harm will happen just less torque and top speed..
from what I've heard/read it is not good to run seperate voltage/mah packs together, the power from one will flow through the other and put more strain on the lower voltage cell. i don't run lipo, so others that have tried or those that are well versed in lipos to give a more accurate description of why not may be better to respond. but i just know I've read not to do that. it is also a good idea to have matched packs themselves as far as age and usage.

it will not hurt the lower voltage pack if higher voltage pack is connected closest to negative voltage side and lower voltage is nearest to positive side.

it will not hurt the lower voltage pack if higher voltage pack is connected closest to negative voltage side and lower voltage is nearest to positive side.
ok good to know!

The only real issue you will have with the packs is if they are a different brand or mah or c-rating. Also, the esc may not see 7 cells and think it's a 8 cell setup at LVC as in most cases, 2, 3, 6, 8 are the cell voltages totals things are looking for. If I remember right, some guys ran 5 cells in their savage flux's (6S was too much, but they wanted more than 4S) and had to set the esc to NiMH mode then put pack monitors on the balance taps so they knew they were at LVC.

The only real issue you will have with the packs is if they are a different brand or mah or c-rating. Also, the esc may not see 7 cells and think it's a 8 cell setup at LVC as in most cases, 2, 3, 6, 8 are the cell voltages totals things are looking for. If I remember right, some guys ran 5 cells in their savage flux's (6S was too much, but they wanted more than 4S) and had to set the esc to NiMH mode then put pack monitors on the balance taps so they knew they were at LVC.
If this is the case, then I will be cheaper and safer just to pick up another Goldbat 4s 5000mah 50c battery, I found one on Amazon for $40.99. Its a brand I have been using for quite some time and have never had problems with.
I never thought of the ESC not being able to see 7s.
Once my 2 4s batteries are depleted I will go with 2 3s batteries which I have plenty of.

Back