batteries and charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam384

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok please answer i am getting a 18t and putting a tekin mini rage 8100kv motor in it i was wonderin wat type of lipo battery and charger i should get

Last edited:
18t good on carpet

would a 18t be good for carpet or not

To my knowledge they are very popular to run on carpet. I may race mine a little on carpet this year if I can.

is there anything i have to do to it

What is your budget?

If you're looking to get by cheap, you could run an e-flite charger that comes with the Blade CX2, etc...then buy a pack that has the same balance tap. The downside is that you'll have longer charge times, but this charger is also a balance charger. Some will argue you don't need to balance a 2s pack, but it simply isn't worth the risk. If you buy a lipo charger, you will need a balancer if one is not built into the charger.

I ran this pack:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMDN0&P=7

And it will work very well with this charger, only downside is that you will need more than 1 hour to recharge. Not a big deal considering I got over 45 minutes run time out of my pack. You can find these cheaper on craigslist or ebay as well.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLC3110

So for about $60.00 you're running lipo with a balance charger. You can get cheaper if you're willing to wait. You can take those pack dimensions (that pack just barely fit into stock location without modification) and look on hobbycity.com. You will have to wait, but their packs are pretty reasonable too.

Found this pack with similar dimensions. $9.74.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7482

Last edited:
i am thinking of running comptition at the local hobbie shop i need it to be fast charger but not blow up

Last edited:
My RC18T with that lipo, and only a 6800kv mamba. I can already tell you the guy I sold it to races it competitively and he has stepped back down to nicad packs because it was too fast. I had worked countless hours on the suspension and differentials to keep this thing glued and it would spin with carpet foams and flip with that sticky stuff on them. Trust me, a 2s lipo is almost too much. When racing these little guys it's more in who's behind the wheel than what's powering the truck.

[ame]http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/acmarauder/?action=view&current=P1010882.flv[/ame]

What is your budget?

Two of the previously mentioned 2s lipo and Duratrax IntelliPeak ICE charger. Have one pack charging while using the other.

I don't really suggest you getting a 3s lipo with that motor. You're going to lose every race unless you have some really good turn marshals waiting hand and foot to flip you over every time you have to turn.

You sound like a novice to lipo, so please take the time to read this article. Your quickest charge times are going to be at 1c which will be 1 hour no matter what charger unless you really know what you're doing.

ok so the 3 cell is to fast 2 is better or even the nicad

how fast did your car go????

Last edited:
Get some better wheels/tires, and a bl setup. :)

Never clocked it, but according to a few calculators it was in the mid 40's. Could have been faster had I changed the gearing a bit, but I liked having a good balance of top end speed and low end torque.

I guess I should have also asked if this were a Factory Team or a RTR RC18T.

Here are some good hopups for racing and durability:

Tires:
Driveline:
Suspension and handling:
It also wouldn't hurt to invest in a bearing kit as well, and to experiment with suspension setups that are better suited for your track. Silicone shock oil isn't that expensive, and buying or borrowing different weights can improve handling significantly in these little trucks. It is worth your time to experiment.

thanks alot i will add to the list that i am geting wat type of cars do you own

wat type nicad should i get

Last edited:
I'd say get the truck, examine your budget for upgrades, and let us know what you have to spend and what things you're looking to improve. I can give you many suggestions as to what to do with the truck, and I had over $500 invested in mine including buying the truck used with the brushless system already installed. Point is, I may be misleading you until I know what you want to do with the truck. It could be a simple upgrade that gets you on the track competitive. It all boils down to how you want it to perform. Some suggestions may be beneficial to a racer and hinder bashing, and vice versa. Sometimes slow is fast, especially in 1:18th scale club racing.

i want to be able to race and use it on the road as well

Does your local track run stock (spec) classes for the 1:18th scale, or open mods? If I were you, I'd try to run in a stock form class first, then work your way into open mod when budget allows.