Bash from 2019/07/27 - my ERBEv1 converted to V2 and my savage flux with a cap pack

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Decided to get a roller and convert my v1 revo to a v2 so I can run 6S in it.

I swapped over my motor/esc, steering servo, roll bar I made, t-bone front/rear skids and wheelie bar, alloy P2 rockers, hard anno'd tini shocks with VDK, RC Raven dual rate springs and rear suspension limiters I made.

I wasn't sure what gearing to start with, started with 14/54, I think stock is 15/54. It did not like flipping... AT ALL! Just wouldn't do it unless I hit the right ramp and held WOT throughout the duration of the flip. I strapped the t-maxx 3.3 tires with kevlar as I didn't want them blowing off the rims in the first 5 minutes and exploding. Guessing they are lighter than stock and with them wrapped, very little ballooning.

It didn't seem all that fast to me. Could be due to comparing to how my outcast and savage feel at WOT, but really, this was very tame for 6S. I was expecting it to be a real handful. It seemed to unload to the front a bit more than I'd prefer, but with 2M oil in it stock... not sure what else to do with that other than live with it. Took some finagling to fit my t-bone skids/wheelie bar on it. Also during my first session, I broke a rear axle carrier (stock v2) and pulled apart the turnbuckle I was using for the rear brace. I stopped at an LHS, picked up a couple packs of carriers and the traxxas rear brace. Bolted that up, replaced the carrier and went to my skate park to air it out. Still did not like flipping at all. Could be also that the roller came with the rear hubs connected to the long wheel base holes in the rear arms.

I wasn't able to swap over my RPM arms/carriers or my HPP motor brace. Now that I removed the stock rear chassis brace, might be able to put the HPP brace back on. Although, that makes it a pain to change gearing, so may put that on once I decide what gearing to stick with. I just put in a 15T pinion and will see how that does.

Only did one set of packs with the savage flux. I wanted to just run it hard after changing to 16/48 gearing and building/installing the cap pack to see how the voltage ripple looked in the log after beating on it at the bmx track. I had 3.4V, now the max was .98v. However, the esc still ran hot. It didn't shut down on me though. I took the MMX fan off and hard wired a hobbystar 30mm alloy case fan then bolted it onto the heat sink with double tape and a ziptie. It was too big to fit in the housing. It pushes way more air than the stock MMX fan and it's on all the time vs just when the esc gets hot.

It was about 85F out, in the graph the esc starts at 90F and by 4 minutes in was at 167F and eventually shows 181F then floated around that for the majority of the run. The motor got to 154F.

I don't think I can gear it down without just getting a bigger spur as the motor won't really move anymore than a hair further with 16/48 in it. Guess I'll see how it does over time.

Last edited:
I don't get the reference. lol!

After watching the footage again of the revo, it does seem relatively quick. Gets about as much distance as my outcast at the skate park. A tad less, but not much. The outcast will clear that trench off the big jump by a couple feet. I think the geometry of it and the seemingly light (but really not) center diff makes it so tame to drive that it doesn't "feel" fast as you can run WOT pretty much constantly and not feel out of control in the grass. I just swapped the pinion out for a 15T so will see if that adds a bit of pep to it.

I really need to replace the body... the one on it is in tatters. I have a new one around here somewhere. With the roll bar in the center holding it up, it will likely last longer since it won't be buckling in the middle all the time.

I don't get the reference. lol!

After watching the footage again of the revo, it does seem relatively quick. Gets about as much distance as my outcast at the skate park. A tad less, but not much. The outcast will clear that trench off the big jump by a couple feet. I think the geometry of it and the seemingly light (but really not) center diff makes it so tame to drive that it doesn't "feel" fast as you can run WOT pretty much constantly and not feel out of control in the grass. I just swapped the pinion out for a 15T so will see if that adds a bit of pep to it.

I really need to replace the body... the one on it is in tatters. I have a new one around here somewhere. With the roll bar in the center holding it up, it will likely last longer since it won't be buckling in the middle all the time.

stone hinge mounds!

Huh?!? Never heard of those! They look a bit too soft sloped to jump... then again, when you get a truck that goes 60mph... almost anything is a jump!

Me & the wife travel to are local big city ,its about 25 miles away ,actually ,that's where the LH shops are ,
but as we get there on the out skirts ,there is some peoples pasture's ,there sits a huge homemade BMX
or moto cross track with some narly jumps ,it is so tempting ,but the owners may not allow it!

It is grown up with dry weeds an has not been used in years ,I will take my camera an get a pic of it the next time
that we go to town!....:cool:

The one I found is public. It's about 45 minute drive, then a 1/4 mile walk out the end of a sub division. They have a nice blacktop path going to/around the whole thing, but it's very winding. Tough to drag a 75-100lb bag through the grass though, so I stay on the path to get to it. The last 75 yards or so are grass, so I still end up dragging it through the lawn. I've been there 10 times or so this year. Have only seen people/kids on it 3 times. They usually spend about 20 minutes there, then leave. Guessing pedaling around in grass up and down hills is tiring. I know walking around there for a few hours is tiring... takes me a day of doing nothing to recoup from a day of bashing! LOL!

Seems bigger than 130 yards... been a while since I was on a football field I guess. Google says it's 75 yards wide. Couldn't get the thing to show 2 numbers at the same time.
2019-0729-BMX-Yorkville-Length.jpg

The path off on the far right is where I come in. This little cart has made the walk a lot easier:
2019-0721-FoldableWagonAndTruckBag.jpg

That's from inside the pavilion you see in the bottom center of the above photo. Found an AC outlet in it... no water or restroom anywhere though. Not sure why, since this is a kids area. Isn't any type of facility within a couple miles. Just houses.

Last edited:
Nice vids as always olds. If they make one for it, a cage is the way to go for a bash rig IMO, no body at all, and extra cooling is a free bonus.
I have one for the ERBE, but it mounts to the body posts and shears them and the body mount holder thing (would be a shock tower if that's where they mounted) off like twigs. It's in the closet now. Waste of $80. Oh well.

LOL....you reminded me ,I think that I left 3 thrashed bodies out at the old bash site 10 years ago ,they may
still be there!.....:D

The one I found is public. It's about 45 minute drive, then a 1/4 mile walk out the end of a sub division. They have a nice blacktop path going to/around the whole thing, but it's very winding. Tough to drag a 75-100lb bag through the grass though, so I stay on the path to get to it. The last 75 yards or so are grass, so I still end up dragging it through the lawn. I've been there 10 times or so this year. Have only seen people/kids on it 3 times. They usually spend about 20 minutes there, then leave. Guessing pedaling around in grass up and down hills is tiring. I know walking around there for a few hours is tiring... takes me a day of doing nothing to recoup from a day of bashing! LOL!

Seems bigger than 130 yards... been a while since I was on a football field I guess. Google says it's 75 yards wide. Couldn't get the thing to show 2 numbers at the same time.
2019-0729-BMX-Yorkville-Length.jpg

The path off on the far right is where I come in. This little cart has made the walk a lot easier:
2019-0721-FoldableWagonAndTruckBag.jpg

That's from inside the pavilion you see in the bottom center of the above photo. Found an AC outlet in it... no water or restroom anywhere though. Not sure why, since this is a kids area. Isn't any type of facility within a couple miles. Just houses.

You may need a blind & a bucket for a rest room!

I have one for the ERBE, but it mounts to the body posts and shears them and the body mount holder thing (would be a shock tower if that's where they mounted) off like twigs. It's in the closet now. Waste of $80. Oh well.

Yeah, that's an odd design, the one I have for the Pede mounts to the chassis as it should.

Yeah, that's an odd design, the one I have for the Pede mounts to the chassis as it should.
Would have made more sense that way, but with how the revo is built, they could have done that pretty easily on the rear with a dogleg on the down posts to the rear bulkhead screws, but not sure what they could have done on the front. The body mount/tower thing kind of blocks access to those screws.

Back