Ballooning tires...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just installed new RRP gears on my T-maxx. Mathematically it should be pushing 55+ mph. But, I can't get anywhere near that because of the tires ballooning up. They get to almost twice their normal size and I can't keep control of the truck because there is so little rubber on the road. The first time I went for a high speed run, the front left tire blew. It tore the rubber in about 4 different places, and the truck only got to 48 mph on that run.

So, my question is, are there any tires out there that have a stiffer sidewall, or made of a stiffer rubber to keep this ballooning issue at a minimum?

I just installed new RRP gears on my T-maxx. Mathematically it should be pushing 55+ mph. But, I can't get anywhere near that because of the tires ballooning up. They get to almost twice their normal size and I can't keep control of the truck because there is so little rubber on the road. The first time I went for a high speed run, the front left tire blew. It tore the rubber in about 4 different places, and the truck only got to 48 mph on that run.

So, my question is, are there any tires out there that have a stiffer sidewall, or made of a stiffer rubber to keep this ballooning issue at a minimum?

Before you mount the tires, flip them inside out and wrap them with Gorilla Tape or Duct Tape, then put them on.

the more they ballon , the more speed youll get ..i have 2 sets of the latest revo tires ..one set i fixed so they dont balloon ...the other set is stock ...and i see a good diff in speed ..and i never ripped a tire ...

and with the revo offset wheels ..you have a wider stance ..helps with the handling ...maybe you should try that

i also tried putting a piece of tape in the wheels to block the air holes ( to minimize ballooning ) ..didnt work to good ...lost speed , and if the beads are not sealed right , the tire might be able to get some air and expand .....it happened to me ..IT would expand on just one wheel on one side ...pretty hard to control when it does that ..LOL

Last edited:
I have another set of tires that I sealed the holes in the rims and did lose some speed. But, the issue still remains that the tires have ballooned so much that they have ripped. I'll give the tape idea a shot but it seems like the more weight you have on the tire itself, the more it will want to balloon up.

I have another set of tires that I sealed the holes in the rims and did lose some speed. But, the issue still remains that the tires have ballooned so much that they have ripped. I'll give the tape idea a shot but it seems like the more weight you have on the tire itself, the more it will want to balloon up.

i glued a piece of fabric with ''shoe goo'' inside mine ..held up good..i think tape will get unglued after a while..i made sure to scuff the rubber pretty good before i glued them ;)

either the duct tape inside the tire, or street tires. thats about your only option.

I ve had the same issues a while back withn stock tires, I used nylon reinforced packing tape. it's a little lighter than duct tape and the nylon strands are thicker acting more belts similar to 1:1 tires.

Back