Balloon shock covers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavidhicks

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've read the other threads with their different methods of covering springs with balloons.

I swear this one works better and easier.

The only tool needed is a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe with the ends sanded smooth.

Step 1: Put the balloon into the piece of pipe and stretch the lip around the edge.

cover1.jpg

Step 2: Suck the air out of the other end of the pipe. This will draw the balloon to inside wall of the pipe. (Note: You must feel secure in your masculinity to perform this step.)

cover2.jpg

Step 3: While holding vacuum, drop spring into end of pipe and pull balloon neck from pipe to break vacuum.

cover3.jpg

Step 4: That's pretty much it. Finished product here.

cover4.jpg

Trim the neck and the tip of the balloon and assemble onto shock. I knocked out eight of these using this method in less than five minutes.

I bought two stinkin' bags of balloons thinkin' I'd be able to get at least two sets of four of the same color. It looks like I've got the Partridge Family shock set.

cover5.jpg

Dude, your third picture ... um i dunno, you make me wonder. Oh well, as you said, it takes a secure man to try that and post it on the web! :jk:

Actually, I'm gonna try that for my shocks.

[backwoods voice]

Boy you sure do have a pretty mouth

[/backwoods voice]

On a more serious note, thanks for the tip. Seems to be a much easier way of doing it.

-Michael

yeah yeah... I hear that from all the pretty guys...

Here's what I meant to post. It's a revolutionary new shock spring balloon installer.

It consists of 3/4" pvc, 3/4 slip x FPT adapter, 3/4 by 1/4" bushing, 1/4 pipe x 1/4 compression fitting, 18" of 1/4" polyvinyl tubing and a hand-operated vacuum pump.

covertool.gif

What kind of life do you get out of the ballons before you get a tear? A weekend of bashing?

I saw some shock socks somewhere that were made out of spandex. I think they were $10 for 4.

Here's a link:
http://www.rcraven.com/shocksocks.htm

Anyone tried these? Thinking i might for winter running.

I had fabric shock socks before that I bought for $12/8 pcs. There were nice but after several bashings and cleanings they were starting to look ragged. I've just finished a rebuild with new bulks and arms and the old socks were the only things I couldn't make look new again.

So I don't really know how long balloons will last, but I'll find out.

yeah what kinda balloons you use?? it looks nice I'm gunna give it a try

try to get the long ones we tried some on our trucks, nice and tight at the top but more loose as u get to the bottom of the spring. we used "round balloons" i guess, i also tried latex glove fingers. it works really well but you can only really use the pointer and ring finger of each glove.:p:

i went to a party supply store next to me and got a bag of like 100 of the long straight balloons and work like a dream

I couldn't get a bag of all or mostly long balloons from my local variety stores. I really wanted some small latex gloves to harvest the fingers. I have a couple pair of latex gloves I scarfed from a first aid kit but the gloves were extra large and the fingers were a sloppy fit.

Anyway... as this truck sits I see parts of a couple of the balloons constricting abnormally around the springs. How do you make sure you don't buy inferior balloons?

wdavidhicks said:
yeah yeah... I hear that from all the pretty guys...

Here's what I meant to post. It's a revolutionary new shock spring balloon installer.

It consists of 3/4" pvc, 3/4 slip x FPT adapter, 3/4 by 1/4" bushing, 1/4 pipe x 1/4 compression fitting, 18" of 1/4" polyvinyl tubing and a hand-operated vacuum pump.

covertool.gif

bbwwwhahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats halarious!!!!! :cheers:

www.savageshockcovers.com are the supplier of my last, spandex shock covers and I was ultimately not very happy with the quality of the covers.

That ballon idea is the Shizzle fo' Rizzle. Gotta try that on my Mammoth when I go up to Dallas. (Cold, wet and crappy Dallas Texas here I come...Whoo hoo)

Diver6127 said:
Dude, your third picture ... um i dunno, you make me wonder. Oh well, as you said, it takes a secure man to try that and post it on the web! :jk:

I just found a way to introduce my girlfriend to this hobby...

That was wrong in sooooooo many ways.

...think she would like to come the Tweakster put his shocks on?

supersavage said:
I just found a way to introduce my girlfriend to this hobby...

LMAO.... I was thinkin the same damn thing when I saw that.... lol

I'd try that if I was sure it would last. Plus it keeps your springs looking nice.

wat are the ballons supposed to do??

lyle

Any more news David on how they work? I was thinkign about doing it to my savage, but I think Ill wait for spring. I wouldnt imagine that they'd hold up to well with the cold temps here in mn. Was also wondering if it was possible to double them up somehow. Id imagine thatd make them more duable.

They keep the dirt, grime and crud out of your shock shafts.

:wonders who was taking the pics..

yea and that "shock spring baloon cover installer" thing looks EXTREEMLY simular to a "male endowment emprovement device" lol good idea though but i to am wondering how long they will last..

Back