Balancing Losi Lipo with Hyperion 610

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryus

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have the Hyperion 610 balance charger. I have a Losi brand 2S 1000mah lipo for the mini LST2 and another brand 2S 2000mah.

When I charge the 2000mah lipo, I'm able to charge it while the balance taps are connected, so it charges and balances at the same time.

For the Losi 1000mah lipo, when I connect the main battery connector first and then the balance taps, the charger only sees the 2nd cell's voltage and thinks it's a 1S lipo. But with both main connector and balance connectors connected, then if I remove the main power connector and leave only the balance connectors, the charger sees both cells and its a 2S. I'm able to balance the Losi lipo this way, but not charge and balance at the same time.

My question is, is it safe to charge the Losi lipo first without balance tap connected, then just balance afterwards?

Is it okay to balance the Losi lipo with only the balance taps connected without the main power connector of the battery?

3rd question is regarding balance connectors in general, for example the Losi lipo has 3 pins, if I were to connect it to a tap connector with 4-6 pins, with the pinouts being compatible, do you match the battery's balance red wire to the tap's red wire, or the battery's balance black wire to the pin 1 black wire of the tap?

My question is, is it safe to charge the Losi lipo first without balance tap connected, then just balance afterwards?

Yes.

Is it okay to balance the Losi lipo with only the balance taps connected without the main power connector of the battery?

Yes, when passive balancing you are only discharging the higher voltage cell through the taps at a very small amp draw.

3rd question is regarding balance connectors in general, for example the Losi lipo has 3 pins, if I were to connect it to a tap connector with 4-6 pins, with the pinouts being compatible, do you match the battery's balance red wire to the tap's red wire, or the battery's balance black wire to the pin 1 black wire of the tap?

Unless you absolutely know which wire is the common negative for both taps AND know that the sequence of positive wires is the same, I'd rather use a balancing harness adapter for using taps of different manufacturer. One wrong connection and you will short out a cell.

Also, quality 2S lipos will seldom if ever need balancing. You can do a check every 15-20 charge cycles.

^^ Thanks alot for the responses.