Baja 5B SS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Yeah that's right. I have added a third Baja to my large scale stable. I could not let the HPI $50 rebate go by and Tower had an awesome $180 off coupon code so I pulled the trigger just after Xmas.

I have a 5B RTR that has been heavily upgraded that is used exclusively for on-road autocross racing.

I have a 5T that is used for off-road racing at Thunder Valley.

Now I will have a 5B SS that will be used for off-road racing at Thunder Valley as well as bashing around.

Here is a pic of all the hop-ups that will go on the SS. No bling here. All parts are for making the rig stronger and more reliable.

SS_Parts.jpg

Pic of the stock motor. Thunder Valley required the use of either the RTR or 5T exhaust can due to noise. I have the 5T can installed. Turtle Racing clutch system and clutch housing is installed as well as the TGN Redneck pre-filter with Outerwears. Also shown is Hostile Racing's choke lever.
motor.jpg

DarkSoul Racing Meaty Dog Bones
bones.jpg

Diff with Turtle Racing's reinforced drive cups. 60k diff oil is inside.
diff.jpg

More pics to follow as major components are built.

Last edited:
I am jealous that you have three bajas and I have none. :(

Pics don't work.

Did he get around to embedding the pics? I was here this morning when he posted and figured he typed it all out then was going to go back in to add the pics...

I too am just a tad jealous...

Hmmmmm. I can see the pics fine.

I am linking them from HBT.

I will put them in my gallery here and post them.

You should be able to see pics now.

Last edited:
You lucky bugger!
I thought that was the baja as a kit version, but its all hop ups?!?!
Pics work fine for me

You guys are nuts with these things. I can't believe you have 3 of them now. Congrats on the large stable :)

I am jealous that you have three bajas and I have none. :(

You do realize that those have an *gasp* internal combustion engine.?.? :stick:

The Baja scene has taken off in my area.

Autocross will become a points series this year in San Jose and the new 5th scale off-road track in Lakeport has taken off and will also have a points series.

Racing these rigs is the cat's ass and I wanted to be able to race both the 5T and 5B classes at Lakeport without having to drastically change the set-up on my Autocross rig back and forth.

20-30 minute races without re-fueling or ever flaming out can't be beat.

Without a doubt, I am through with nitro.

Front end is ready for mounting.

Turtle Racing Top Plate and Shock Tower/Brace Combo. RPM lower arms. Modified RC front light mount. DarkSoul Racing axle extenders.
I don't use the upper RPM arm because they designed it to eliminate the spacer clips which enable you to adjust the toe angles. Since this is a race rig, I need the adjustment option.
008.jpg

Last edited:
i'm so jealous watching this thread...

how about a list of the hop ups and why you bought them? young minds want to know.

How do you like the 5T ? I had the SS and a RTR.

I love the 5T.

A lot funner to drive on the track. The body acts like a parachute and it seems to float over the jumps.

Nice build man! I need one of those 5t cans too. They sound awesome!

I know a guy that might give me a sweet deal on a 5t and I'm thinking about buying another baja too lol. I know how you feel!

very nice. i wish there was more of an rc scene here. as far as i know, its just me!

Some more progress pics.

Front end mounted
0041.jpg

Tygon fuel lines with "crap trap" filter
0091.jpg

Turtle setup
0053.jpg

Hostile 57T spur
0062.jpg

Rear end
0082.jpg

Rear sway bar trimmed down by 1/8" to provide clearance from bone and boot
0072.jpg

All I have left to do is build the linkage and shocks.

It be done!

Close up of front end
picture.php

Scoop
picture.php

Completed Pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Your rig is sick! Nice job Rob.

very nice. the eddie sticker rules. haha

Very nice. I like the front end lights. I'll have to figure out a way to mount mine on the front.

How does the high-flow can affect performance?