Back to the 90’s, let’s see that old school livery and paint jobs!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April 1990: It's (stadium truck) starting to form...
1651512580813.png

1651512656417.png

April 1990: It's (stadium truck) starting to form...
View attachment 146163
View attachment 146164
I had a Marui Big Bear. The plastic spur in them was made out of candle wax. I replaced it 5 times, and back in the 80's, that wasn't an easy thing to do. Send off a money order, and wait. And if I remember correctly, they were $4.62 each. That was a bit of money to come up with for a 13 year old kid back then. And every time I put one in, it lasted through no more than 2 battery packs. Most failed within 5 minutes. But it was my very first RC ever, and the sound of those big fluffy tires chewing through our gravel driveway is still something I still remember to this day.

They later came out with better spur gears for them. I wish I had kept the truck and stocked up on the spurs, because it was a blast to drive.

First ROAR "Truck" Nationals winner:
1651514144612.png

The TRX-T Eagle (later the Blue Eagle) is what did it for for me in getting started in stadium truck love affair.
1651518395140.png

Last edited:
I had a Marui Big Bear. The plastic spur in them was made out of candle wax. I replaced it 5 times, and back in the 80's, that wasn't an easy thing to do. Send off a money order, and wait. And if I remember correctly, they were $4.62 each. That was a bit of money to come up with for a 13 year old kid back then. And every time I put one in, it lasted through no more than 2 battery packs. Most failed within 5 minutes. But it was my very first RC ever, and the sound of those big fluffy tires chewing through our gravel driveway is still something I still remember to this day.

They later came out with better spur gears for them. I wish I had kept the truck and stocked up on the spurs, because it was a blast to drive.
What I remember back in the day was the Big Bear, The Frog, Wild Willy, Super Champ, Subaru Brat, and the Grasshopper on the department store shelves. With no hobby shops near by, those retail store prices were insane. Mail order... 🤯 oh those good ol' days of shopping.

I had to get my monthly RC car fix through RCModeler magazine, and in the back was a small section dedicated to surface RCs. That's where I ordered my Frog from... a tiny little ad in the back of a magazine. Yeah, looking at hot chicks holding up huge planes was cool and all, but when RCCA came out... it was the chicks posing with off-road RCs that really got my young teenage manhood pumped up :banana::banana:🤣🤣.

My dad got into RC planes somewhere around 1980. He always had Tower Hobbies catalogs laying around. I wore the pages out looking at RC cars. But the Big Bear was a TV ad. I remember saving up the money, watching anxiously for the ad so I could write down the address, and sending off the money order. Then when I got the truck and put it together, I was so disappointed when it kept stripping gears.

if anyone happens to see my rc10gt anywhere please keep me in mind, i lost touch with the gentleman who got this truck and another FT truck from me...

I just dug my RC10T out of storage a couple of weeks ago. I have the original body that is beat to hell and a couple more sets of wheels and tires as well. Missing half a dozen eclips and has a broken stub shaft. I would like to say my painting skills are much better than they were then...

At the very least it's going to get a complete teardown and cleanup and go on the shelf, I'm toying with putting a new brushed setup in it and playing a little. Body is in pretty good shape overall so I might see if I can strip it and repaint it. No idea what I painted it with at the time but it might just be Krylon.

I forgot how light this car is. Makes all my other RC's feel like I'm holding a cinderblock. I think my Micro RS4 might weigh almost as much as this does without a battery.

PXL_20220823_014749509.jpg
PXL_20220823_014841230.jpg
PXL_20220823_014925545.jpg
PXL_20220823_014902635.jpg

1687119827758.png
1687120059912.png

1687120642262.png

1687121280344.png

Sorry. I'm trying to include only stadium truck pictures/stuff from the 90's, but sometimes things jump out that are really memorable. Beginning of HPI...? Oh, how I wished I could afford them wheels... no money left after buying the Plano.
1687121601098.png
1687122205282.png

I still have, and use the old faithful Plano "Pit Box" just about every day.
1687123436509.png
1687123105969.png