Back in flight, soon, I hope ;)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Çh®i§tiªñ

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, the air has finally cooled off here in good ole Buffalo NY. What does this mean? Well, BETTER FLYING WEATHER! Being as the density of the air is MUCH more flight friendly when it is cooler. I will probably start logging more flight time than truck time this part of the year. Planes even attain higher speeds and better control at higher altitudes when it cool out. I'm getting excited!

Now all I have to do is one more thin coat and light sand on a new set of elevons that I just cut and sanded. Put a new carbon prob (with lok nut ;) ) and be on my way!

Zagi in flight! Oh how sweet it is!

:banana:

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
elevons
I don't mean to sound dumb here, well actually I am fairly dumb anyway, but what the heck are elevons? I mean is it a typo for elevens?

Re: Re: Back in flight, soon, I hope ;)

Originally posted by El Pirata
I don't mean to sound dumb here, well actually I am fairly dumb anyway, but what the heck are elevons? I mean is it a typo for elevens?

The plane Christan is flying is a flying wing so I hope I'm right in saying its not a typo, thats how its spelled I think:classic:

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Now all I have to do is one more thin coat and light sand on a new set of elevons that I just cut and sanded.
Judging by the name, if it is either a typo for elevens which I have no idea what the number elevens would do on a plane nor why you would need another thin coat for them and to sand them. If they are in fact elevons then what are they? I mean elevons, elevator. I would think they are something that has to do with elevation but what exactly was what I was wanting to know.

Right On Hunter ;)

Elevons control the elevation and turning functions. Most spectators call them flaps.

Hunter is 100% right - I fly around with a Flying Wing. Very acrobatic and we use them for full contact combat as well. They are pretty big too! You dont want to get hit by one going full speed either! Its always cool seeing the pilots at the LHS with 'Prop' finger hehehehe

El go to ZAGI.com there you can see and learn more about the plane he is working on.

Originally posted by El Pirata
I thought pilots called them flaps too? Let's ask Sky, he's a Squid Aviator so he would know!

Sky is an aviator a I thought he was just a spuid flying operator:dumb: J/K SkyMaxx

If my memory serves me, elevon is a contraction for elevator/aileron. Where most normal planes have an elevator to control pitch and ailerons to control roll, these wings use flaps which control both. When you look at the 400X that Christian has, you'll see there's no verticle stabilizer or rudder. And there's only one set of control surfaces as opposed to the 2 (elevators & ailerons) on other planes.....

Am I helping or should I butt out???

Originally posted by Candyman
If my memory serves me, elevon is a contraction for elevator/aileron. Where most normal planes have an elevator to control pitch and ailerons to control roll, these wings use flaps which control both. When you look at the 400X that Christian has, you'll see there's no verticle stabilizer or rudder. And there's only one set of control surfaces as opposed to the 2 (elevators & ailerons) on other planes.....

Am I helping or should I butt out???

Yeah yeah what he said:classic:

Elevons and flaps are two different beasts.

Flaps are for the sole purpose of increasing or decreasing the surface area of the wing and changing the shape of the airfoil for the end result of more or less lift and thus more or less drag. They are typically located on the trailing edge of the wing. There are leading edge flaps, but they go by a different name and perform a slightly different service. Flaps are particularly useful in the landing phase of flight as they allow you to maintain your lift and fly at a slower speed to do so.

Elevons and Stabilators are essentially the same thing. They are just used on different areas of the aircraft depending on the airframe. A flying wing will use elevons (a contraction of Elevator and Aileron as someone pointed out earlier). They are usually located on the trailing edge of the wing. They either receive the same control input for climbing or diving or get opposite control inputs for turns.

Stabilators are what you see on high performance fighter jets in place of the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator (thus stabilator). They receive similar control inputs as the elevons and perform essentially the same service as elevons, but they are typically located on the empenage or tail section of an aircraft. They are typically used in conjunction with a vertical stabilizer that may or may not have any type of rudder. These are used to give the aircraft more agility and are used in conjunction with flaps and ailerons located on the aircraft's wings.

For those who are curious...I am essentially a rider (not a pilot) in a US Naval aircraft, E-2C Hawkeye.
E-2C.gif

I have a BS in Aero/Astronautical Engineering. I have been flying for 10 years. I have been in RC aircraft off and on for a lot longer.

Last edited:
SkyMaxx you have a BS or your full of BS???:D

Nice pic of the plane is that the one you work in???

Originally posted by Hunter
SkyMaxx you have a BS or your full of BS???:D
Probably the second one! :D

Originally posted by Hunter
Nice pic of the plane is that the one you work in???
Naw, right now he's really working hard at polishing a seat with his butt!

Naw, right now he's really working hard at polishing a seat with his butt! [/B][/QUOTE]

Ill bet that chair has a real good shine on it:D

Probably does. With a butt as big as his he only has to move very little to get the whole thing to shine!!! :D

So what your saying is that chair shines like the sun.