Axial 28, How much fuel through it before it becomes stable?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some engines I've had took a gallon or so to become a stable engine. By stable, I mean good power, consistent temps, holds a tune... generally running well.

I have an axial 28 1S that I bought over a year ago. I ran about 3/4 - 1 gallon or so through it of trinity MHP 20%, then sold the truck it was in. Then a few months ago, I figured I'd throw it in my aftershock and it ran like crap. I pickled it with ARO prior to storing it. I completely tore it down and resealed it with RTV, replaced the front bearing, put it back into the aftershock and it still ran like crap. I ran a couple 150cc tanks through it and just couldn't get it right.

So, I talk to the LHS guy and he says bring it in and he would send it to axial to figure it out. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago, I got it back a week ago, axial said the front bearing was leaking a very little bit but otherwise the engine was in immaculate condition. The replaced the bearing and I'm guessing they ran it in something. The carb was twisted around opposite the way I sent it and it was tightened down.

I installed the engine back in the aftershock last night and go out to run it today. The only difference from now and last time is that now I'm running 25% nitro. It seemed to run much better, but likes to run overly rich. It's so rich that if I let it sit for more than 10 seconds, it loads up so bad that it takes 25-30 yards of WOT before it clears it's throat enough to shift into second. It seems to have much better power than it did before I sent it in, but it's still not even close to the power output of my LRP28. It's running around 210F.

If I lean either the HSN or LSN even so much as 1/16 of a turn, it gets that weird hollow sound and revs up an insane amount, then almost stalls when I try to give it gas. If I go over 1/2 throttle, the engine just cuts out. If I let up quickly, it comes back then idles way too high. I richen the HSN 1/16 turn and then I can run WOT. Leaning the LSN has similar results, but then idles very badly and the idle adjustment has almost no impact.

I have to be over a gallon now. I ran 3 150cc tanks through it today, then busted my exhaust wire and had to end the bash session.

Any thoughts on the tune or general issues that can be tuned out of this thing?

Seems like an awful lot of trouble for a $100 engine... but I would like to have it run as good as it can. I've read so many people having good luck with this engine and I can't figure out why I can't. This isn't my first engine... if it was, I may have given up!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have has some engines take 2-3 gallons to realy start to rip,go have fun and run some nitro keep trying,you may just have a lemmon...

Yeah... I'm going to try and deal with it this weekend. I plan on running a few times tomorrow and monday if all goes well. I was just trying to get it to work before I "needed" it.

Hey Olds, I have the exact same engine and have run about 5 tanks thru it so far. Nitroghost:bow: has been helping me break it in and tuned it again today. I was having almost the same problem with mine. It is definately a tuning issue. I will get Nitroghost to post here for ya to give you some info on what he did. He has mine running like a beast right now( and that is in his words). He was adjusting the HSN, Idle, LSN, and mid to get it right. Don't give up on the mill, it has some awesome power.

I just purchased one of these motors and broke it in over the weekend. WOW this motor has some serious power! Is there any performance gain running the turbo head button on this motor?

I have had two of the engines and I have not had much problems out of them. I went from sea level and humid to 5500' in elevation and dry.....I started the engine and in in the amount of time it took to get the engine warmed-up I had it re-tuned. It could be just yours is a panicky engine. Some just are born that way. I melted one my Axials down though on some sand dunes.....the temp was ONLY 390....is that bad? lol... Keep at it, they are a good engine for the money (I think anyway)

I just purchased one of these motors and broke it in over the weekend. WOW this motor has some serious power! Is there any performance gain running the turbo head button on this motor?

I am not sure how much you would get with a turbo head.....but when I switched for 20% to 30% fuel OMG.....yeah that was a huge difference....Mine loves the 30. However, if you do try 30 you have to stick with it.....not good to go lower in nitro content.

How many shims are you useing when running 30%?

Yeah... I gave up. It's going in the back of the closet. Next time I need a door stop, I know I can use the axial.

I ran another painful 500cc's through it after starting up this thread. I'm at about 1.5 gallons total and it's basically sucked since .5 gallon. That's a lot of fuel to have sucky power and tune.

If it was me I would take your Aftershock up to the place you bought the engine at (if you purchased locally)and see if they can get it to run right. If not they should give you a new one!!

Back