AX-10 Finally Legit, LF Pack Change!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
After 4 months of practically rebuilding my ax-10 I am finally ready to go lipo but unsure of the balancer/charger and pack size.

My specs of the rig are:
Tekin 35t motor with 14t pinion (also have the integy 35t lathe turned motor)
Tekin fx-r esc
Traxxas micro rx and tx
CC Bec
Savox 230lb tq coreless servo

I'm lookin for the longest life in my crawler without spending the big bucks
Looking for the cheapest & best charger/balancer setup and a big ole lipo pack or 2 for hours of fun, my nicads dont do diddally poopoo with my bec and would assume my servo power output... LF links to sites for these items also.

Pictures will be added real soon tonight.

Thanks guys once again! Sorry I have not been on lately, no cpu at my house :(

Last edited:
Sng-Would that 1000mah 3s do me a long life of play time?

Its all depends on how you drive. If you keep it full throttle and spin all the time, prolly 15-20 minutes of run time is all you will get but if you crawl pretty slow, using wheel speed only when you actually need it, you can prolly get 30-40 minutes out of one, but at 10 bux a pop, Id get 3 or 4 personally.
I run 1000mah 20c 4s packs and get 45-60 minutes usually and I'm running dual esc's and my servo at 7.4v.

If at all I dont wanna have to mess with the packs switching them out alot, I would prefer to drop a pack in and play all day, I wanna drop the pack next to my servo when I get that setup finally, but dont know how big these are and what will fit.
These are my esc specs:
Controls: Forward/Brake/Reverse
ON Resistance: 0.0012 Ohms
Input Voltage: 4-9 Cells, 2S Lipo (3S Lipo with 35T or higher motor)
BEC: 6.0V/3.0A
Motor Limit: 13 Turn
Throttle Profiles: 7 choices on board
Reverse Type : 3 choices on board; none, delay, immediate
Reverse Strength: 11 steps on board
Rock Crawler Spec: 3S Lipo compatible when used with 35T or higher motor
Dimensions: 1.1 x 0.80 x 0.40 " (28 x 20 x 10mm)

The biggest you can fit there is 1300mah turnigy 3s or 1500mah Mystery packs. Changing a pack on a servo/battery tray takes about 20 seconds. I wouldnt mess up the crawling capability of my rig by putting a big heavy pack on it.

I run the 1300 mah 30c 3s turnigy packs and the just fit and give great run time and power, it was like $66 and some change for 4 of them shipped from hobby king, much better then the 1500mah mystery packs, I have run both.

P1110551Small.jpg

Okay, ill be expecting my lipo packs & charger setup within a couple days now, I need to know if the Tekin Fx-R esc needs to be changed over to run on lipo or if there is anything I need to know before I go pluggin these lipos in and blowing something up? I may also need a lipo charging/balancing for dummies guide I don't feel like burning my apartment complex down doing it all wrong.
Ill update pics as soon as I get my packs, Just got my bta kit installed and my droop setup installed (thanks sng she was sitting a bit too high) :) thanks guys!

Okay I just recieved my charger/packs and power supply and there is nowhere on the charger for the plug-in on the power supply... what now haha, I got the power supply listed and the eco-8 charger, I hate learning the hard way... Now I officially need help ha
heres the charger http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=12104
the DC 11-18v cord coming out of the charger is a + n - cord with prongs, no port for this power supply anywhere

Last edited:
And if in fact there is no need for this power supply I have, if its the wrong one I need to know what to get

I would try the live support when it is online and ask them which AC power supply you need for this charger, it does not say any where which power supply it uses and I can not see what kind of connector it has on the charger it for hooking up the power supply, if needed you could always cut the plug off of the power supply and put alligator clips on it.

A power supply like this would be a good option http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11986

Last edited:
I would try the live support when it is online and ask them which AC power supply you need for this charger, it does not say any where which power supply it uses and I can not see what kind of connector it has on the charger it for hooking up the power supply, if needed you could always cut the plug off of the power supply and put alligator clips on it.

A power supply like this would be a good option http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11986

let me get a pic, it has mini car battery lookin clips that plug onto these ends

P1050475.jpg

Last edited:
Radio Shack has the connectors you are looking for. They are called banana plug connectors. You just need the inline style socket.

They did not have anything I was lookin for, even if I get the female part of the connectors I dont have any way to get wall power to it

Radio Shack has the connectors you are looking for. They are called banana plug connectors. You just need the inline style socket.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay I gator clipped my car battery and started my charge, is charging a 1300 3s 30c @ 2.0A too little? Also it said it was full after only 600mah charged into it, is that right, do lipos come with a small charge on them?

Do I need to balance my pack after every charge?
How do I know when to balance or discharge?
When do I discharge them?
LOL!
Sorry this is like rocket science to me here, dont wanna screw anything up

Thanks.... again :D

No you dont need to balance them everytime. You can for sure but you can get away without doing it everytime too though. I balance my crawler packs like every 10 charges. My bigger backs like my slash packs I balance every time but I only charge them like 2 or 3 times a month though.

what about the amps? i charged my first pack i think so I'm getting more comfortable with it

If its 1300 mah, charge it at 1.3A.