Awesome Little Soldering Iron...and its cheap!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefGeek

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I did a rush job on a solder joint at work and it held well for a few days but failed on me after the battery fell while charging and hung from the cord. I've been soldering for years and always refused to use anything but a quality iron. Well I was in a tight spot and ran to Lowes. All they had was this cheap little piece of crap AA battery powered iron. But it claimed to hit 900 degrees and had a fine tip so for 15 bucks id try it. Fast forward a few minutes (Lowes is 0.5 miles away) and that little soldering iron was doing a hell of a job. I'm sure the batteries wont last for long and I doubt it'll it 900 degrees, but it heats up in seconds and cools almost as fast. Its small enough to fit in a track bag to make quick repairs and the many other uses they have like shrink tubing and heating screws to remove loctite. Highly recommend.
ae6edb75-8352-8b4d.jpg

ae6edb75-83a0-46b6.jpg

I might just have to check that out, it would be perfect for when I am at a comp with my crawler and there is no power any where, I have tried the butane irons but they are just to finicky.

Just read some reviews on it and it did not fair to well, only one person had anything good to say about it, I will be interested to see what you have to say after giving it a good go.

Last edited:
I've never had much luck with butane irons either. Had one a few years ago and it just wouldn't get hot enough, especially for factory soldering (which tends to require more heat in my experience). At least it's working for you though, that's cool.

I FINALLY dropped a c-note on a Hakko. Havn't used it yet, but it sure looks pretty on my table :D

Keep in mind that this is not remotely close to being a real soldering iron. But it does 2 things that a "in a pinch" soldering iron needs to:
1. Gets hot fast
2. Melts solder.

Would I ever go into a project with one or more joints expecting to use this, probably not. But its 15 bucks and it it put that plug back on in seconds and had be back running my car up and down the street. I'm going to the track for the first time today and wouldn't be if it wernt for this little bugger. I'm sure it wont last more then a dozen uses before being poop canned, but for 15 bucks I don't care. I've got all the fancy stuff at work I can use. This works for the unplanned stuff.

I had one just like it but mine was yellow. The tip lasted a week before it fell off. Mine was rechargeable. I think I ended up getting PO'd and giving it away. If they fixed the crappy tip it was pretty good.

Not when I was in Japan...It was not just a normal soldering iron tip. In the states I might have been able to go to Home Depot or something but not overseas

Used at the track today to put a new glowplug connector on a jatos ezstart.

I tried one of those cold heat battery soldering iron and it hit the trash the first time I tried it.. The one I have now is from radio shack(plug in model) and I definetly need a quality one because I am about ready to snap the thing...dont heat up enough and forget about factory solder I can't do a thing with it except scrape the old off and fumble with the new... I had to have my lhs do the last soldering job for me.... I felt dumb asking but I learned a little trick so I guess it worked out.. Good luck with the hand held model and I will probly be looking to get one cause it is always good to be prepared away from home so you dont miss a hole day over something simple!!!!!

I love my Hakko unit. I scored it for $45 used....would never sell the thing! Even if I got out of RC. haha

Back