Assigning a 3rd channel on a Pistol grip controller

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Expatriate

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. This post is a tad long :( I want use a pistol grip controller on my PC to control
Various car racing simulators.
I have the usb interface (for joystick input) but haven't bought the controller yet because... I need a controller with a button near my thumb, or reachable with my thumb for "handbrake."
So it will be like this:

Channel 1: steering
Channel 2: throttle/brake
Channel 3: handbrake

I was looking at an old Sanwa M11 on eBay and it has 3 buttons within reach of my thumb. But I would buy any brand transmitter that had a button near my thumb that I can assign the 3rd channel to. Does anyone know if...
A. You can assign the third channel to any of these buttons on a Sanwa M11
B. Ist there any other brand controller that has a button within reach of my thumb that can be assigned to channel 3.
Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me with some info about assigning channel 3.

you need to dl manual to see if your desired needs can be met with that radio.. its called mixing I know other radios have mixing but not many will actually mix or do what you need...

Thanks buddy. I will do that. I also realize the easier question would have been:

"If I buy a 3 channel pistol grip controller, is there a separate button or switch to control the third channel"

This just dawned on me because I've had many RC car controllers in the past (raced from 1987-2015) but never had the need for more than 2 channels because I only raced electric.

I just find it odd that they sell 3 and 4 channel pistol grip controllers but they only have physical controls for 2 channels (wheel/trigger). So like you say, anymore channels than 2, are accessed through mixing. Sounds like time for plan B

There are quite a few multi-channel transmitters that have a 3rd channel switch/button that is located on the grip for control. The Tactic TTX300, Flysky GT3B, GT3c and GT5, DumboRC X4, X5, X6, and more are just some of the cheaper options.

Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere :)
From the radio's you posted, it looks like the Flysky GT5 will fit the bill. For that price I don't expect the quality or performance (latency) of a high end transmitter but for the my PC, it should be fine. Thanks!

Well, then that sounds promising. I think before I pull the trigger on a CCCC (Cheap Chinese Charley Controller), I'm going to research some more. Especially about the M11. Back in the day I had the MHz version and than later the MT4S. But I only raced electric and never needed a 3rd channel. I really liked the quality of Sanwa. Thanks for the manual, I will dig in and find out.

It's basically an on-off switch that you set up with the trim tab. From what I remember when I programmed it, I'm pretty sure you can set the brake position to any degree of braking you want (since I did that with the throttle) and hitting the button would instantly engage the brake and hitting the button again would disengage it.

Back