Arrma kraton 6s V5 or Traxxas E-revo 2.0 (My frist RC)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limpos

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I'm looking to buy my first RC want to make it right the first time. A car that is future safe that i can have a few years. I'm leaning to Arrma but i really don't know. I will use it to just bash around for fun. And then the battery's is a nightmare what to buy. Arrma use spektrum in their car so been looking on spectrum batteries. PLEASE HELP.

Whats you skill level as in driving and repair of a rc? 1 no real skill level to repair. 10 a rc master I can fix anything rc..budget?Id also look at smc batteries never had a issue with them.as long as you can install or buy with plugs you will be using in the arrma..

Arrma is what Id buy heard alot of good things about there rc

I would personally look at Traxxas over Arrma myself. A lot of the Traxxas kits have a ton of after market support and I think theyre better quality. Arrma has some after market support but not to the extent Traxxas does. That being said they generally cost a little more. I would suggest though to find some kits that you think you might be interested in and post up the exact kits you're looking at no matter what company they are from and people can chime in with comments on that model or suggestions of other similiar models. etc

A couple of things to consider about your first purchase. Do you want Nitro or Electric is the first thing you need to answer. Once you know that then you need to decide what kind of kit you want. Buggy, Truggy, Stadium truck, on-road, Monster truck, short course truck, trail truck, crawler, etc. Thats most of the main types of kits that I can think of right off.

If you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask. :)

Hello I'm looking to buy my first RC want to make it right the first time. A car that is future safe that i can have a few years. I'm leaning to Arrma but i really don't know. I will use it to just bash around for fun. And then the battery's is a nightmare what to buy. Arrma use spektrum in their car so been looking on spectrum batteries. PLEASE HELP.
If you have no skill with this, I would recommend a Traxxas Slash. Its very simple, and basically indestructible.

If you have no skill with this, I would recommend a Traxxas Slash. Its very simple, and basically indestructible.
Most mainstream Traxxas kits are built tough for bashing though so the OP has a lot of nice choices available from Traxxas that will be very bashable right out of the box.

Most mainstream Traxxas kits are built tough for bashing though so the OP has a lot of nice choices available from Traxxas that will be very bashable right out of the box.
Yeah. And the E-revo and Kraton have problems cause their A-arms break like glass.

Most stock a-arms from any company are like that. usually one of the first parts I change out. That and stock shock shafts. Especially the front shafts.

Yeah. But like I would say go for something simpler than the E-revo and Kraton. Just cause its his first

All RCs have the same basic parts, I'm not sure any of them are that much more complicated than any of the rest of them but we can agree to disagree here. :)

All RCs have the same basic parts, I'm not sure any of them are that much more complicated than any of the rest of them but we can agree to disagree here. :)
Your right. I was just thinking cause the Kraton has the chassis reinforcements, and everything is more tightly compact. where as the Slash is very open and simply laid out.

ARRMA!

I currently own 1/10 and 1/8 trucks from 8 major brands. In my fleet, size for size, dollar for dollar, Arrmas are the most solidly built, and the best value vehicles hands down.

1st rc...... sure you want to go 6S?

Big, heavy rigs mixed with high speed will absolutely result in greater chances of breakage. Fun, yes!........but it's absolutely no fun when you only own 1 rig, and it's down, waiting on parts/repair.

You do realize that, buying an Arrma, doesn't commit you to just buying Spektrum batteries, right?
All you need to do is change out the battery connectors. I don't buy pricey, brand name batteries. I only buy "no name" batteries off Amazon, at well less than half the cost. They've ALL worked for me. Just make sure you get a charger that will at least balance charge. These don't have to be expensive either.

Last edited:
Yeah. And the E-revo and Kraton have problems cause their A-arms break like glass.
haven't seen many having issues with the A-arms on the Kratons, at least the 6s series anyway, and so far i haven't experienced breakage with them, i did order RPM arms anyways though because i know a-arms break eventually.

id go with the arrma Kraton out of those two options. every RC has strong points, every RC has weak points, you just have to figure that out and what suites your needs the best.
as far as batteries, i have had good luck with Powerhobby, Hoovo, gensacearespammers, Zeee, Dynamite, and Venom. id also recommend starting with a 4s battery, or if you do go 6s limit the throttle until you get used to it, they should have a 50%, 75%, and 100%. that way you can drive and not be "scared" of the throttle and break things needlessly (imo anyway)
main thing you want is to get 50C or greater C-rating (continuous not burst rating) and id recommend 5000Mah or greater.

This is the fun part of these types of questions on forums you'll get so many contradicting answers !

I've been doing RC for 20+yrs I've got from 1/16 up to 1/5 scale & in all honesty I can say for bashability, cheap parts & ease of making repairs it has to be Traxxas.

I've got Kraton EXB & XMAXX for a beginner the XMAXX is much more forgiving (my 5 yr old can drive it no issue & make it look good) if you had a major crash which breaks the chassis which is very rare as the plastic is flexable its around $22 do it in a kraton its $66 to $100+ depending on what you replace it with (if standard or aftermarket) & I personally have had more issues with the Arrma gear out of the box.

Hope this helps.

Hello, I'm new and also in the market and looking for one to gift to a beginner (10 years old) so expecting a lot of bashing... I see some of the choices here but they seem to be on the higher price side.. I am looking for something in the $150-300 price range (cheaper the better since beginner w/ decent speed & good durability while being able to ride rough terrains (bumpy concrete floors and grassy/sandy park areas) & ready to run or close to it. Aiming towards electric as I do not want the kid playing with gas fluids.

Batteries&charging is a bit confusing as I was told that is can limit the speed depending on battery type? Especially with all the different battery and charger types that traxxas seems to offer.

I also read that electric only have about 15 min runtime so I would be expecting to pickup 3-4 backup batteries to pre charge and swap out as 1 hour playtime seems like a good number. Also, a fast charger would be cool without breaking the budget.. I don't mind 10% over budget!

Some choices I have in mind from web surfing is https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=slash & this one https://www.nitrorcx.com/51c803-fireyellow-24ghz.html & https://traxxas.com/search?type=All&keyword=Rustler+Stadium+Truck&items_per_page=40

Looking at the models in my budget range of course...

Thanks everyone for the help

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new and also in the market and looking for one to gift to a beginner (10 years old) so expecting a lot of bashing... I see some of the choices here but they seem to be on the higher price side.. I am looking for something in the $150-300 price range (cheaper the better since beginner w/ decent speed & good durability while being able to ride rough terrains (bumpy concrete floors and grassy/sandy park areas) & ready to run or close to it. Aiming towards electric as I do not want the kid playing with gas fluids.

Batteries&charging is a bit confusing as I was told that is can limit the speed depending on battery type? Especially with all the different battery and charger types that traxxas seems to offer.

I also read that electric only have about 15 min runtime so I would be expecting to pickup 3-4 backup batteries to pre charge and swap out as 1 hour playtime seems like a good number. Also, a fast charger would be cool without breaking the budget.. I don't mind 10% over budget!

Some choices I have in mind from web surfing is https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=slash & this one https://www.nitrorcx.com/51c803-fireyellow-24ghz.html & https://traxxas.com/search?type=All&keyword=Rustler+Stadium+Truck&items_per_page=40

Looking at the models in my budget range of course...

Thanks everyone for the help
unless you're getting in to the hobby with your 10 year old then I wouldnt recommend it honestly. These things break and fairly frequently, at least until you replace a lot of the stock weak points with after market stronger parts. So if you get a kit you're gonna spend more time than you may bargain for wrenching on and learning the RC hobby.

If you're cool with getting in to the hobby yourself or as much as needed to repair/maintenance the kit then i would look at something from Traxxas like THIS. i would not recommend any of the VXL models from Traxxas. Those are brushless kits which are way to fast for a 10 year old to start with imo. The Traxxas kits that dont say VXL are brushed versions which are slower and less expensive. The VXL models have the ability to put the kit into a beginner mode which limits the power, I'm not sure if the brushed kits have the same capability but if they do that could be good for you too. Traxxas is a well known respected brand. NitroRCX sells the Exceed brand which is junk imo.

That brings us to batteries. If your youngster is going to be using this with supervision then I would suggest using LiPo batteries. They are far superior to NiMH packs. Theyre also a little more dangerous and will require adult supervision. Once youve decided what battery chemistry you want to use then let us know (next time start your own thread so we dont hijack this thread from the original poster) and we can recommend some batteries for you.

As for a charger Id recommend something like THIS. This charger can charge any type of battery that you might choose, it can charge 2 batteries at a time and it can operate on AC or DC current. Its twice as fast on DC power but will work pretty good on AC power too unless you get to the point where you decide you want more out of it and then we can help you find a DC power supply for it.

If you have any other questions or need any more help please start a new thread and then we can address all your questions there. :)

I would go with Arrma Kraton. I have a Traxxas Slash VXL 4x4 and also the Arrma Kraton 6s so this is coming from direct knowledge and interactions. My Traxxas is a money pit and it's still in pieces.....true that they have a lot of extra parts and super popular, but it's a nightmare and breaks and breaks.
Arrma Kraton has been my most reliable and indestructable RC basher. Don't let other Traxxas fans tell you bad things about Arrma.
Arrma is super tough and the OEM parts are not pricey and readily available online/local hobby shops.
I am super pleased with my Arrma, no more Traxxas for me.

Well, that is true if you break it down to just the basic areas of the RC, but when you get to turning wrenches, things can be very different. For example, some RC's have an easy access to the differentials, while others require a complete disassembly of the bulkhead to get to the diff.

And when you get into the diffs, transmissions, etc - some have varying degrees of difficulty when it comes to working on them. Especially when you have a 2-speed gearbox. Then there are things like differential design, slipper clutch adjustment, fixed linkages vs adjustable, etc that vary from RC to RC.

Couple that with RTR vs kit built RC's and you open up a whole new can of worms. Just based on my limited experience with Traxxas RTR's for example - their exploded views SUCK!

I love my Kraton and there is a lot of extra chassis space for upgrades and possibly going to a 8s system! Definitely can take a beating and handles nicely. The Kraton is really easy to wench on if you are a beginner. Check out the Arrma forum. Diffs are really easy to access!

Well, that is true if you break it down to just the basic areas of the RC, but when you get to turning wrenches, things can be very different. For example, some RC's have an easy access to the differentials, while others require a complete disassembly of the bulkhead to get to the diff.

And when you get into the diffs, transmissions, etc - some have varying degrees of difficulty when it comes to working on them. Especially when you have a 2-speed gearbox. Then there are things like differential design, slipper clutch adjustment, fixed linkages vs adjustable, etc that vary from RC to RC.

Couple that with RTR vs kit built RC's and you open up a whole new can of worms. Just based on my limited experience with Traxxas RTR's for example - their exploded views SUCK!
Well I suppose you're right about a few things being easier or more difficult. The basics arent bad but there are somethings like a 2 speed transmission that is definitely more involved than a center diff for example.

Well I suppose you're right about a few things being easier or more difficult. The basics arent bad but there are somethings like a 2 speed transmission that is definitely more involved than a center diff for example.
It's 4 screws to remove the Kraton power module that had the motor and center diff then another 4 and you can get the diff out. The new V5 Kraton has only 4 screws that need to be removed for access to the center diff. The front and rear diff only need 4 screws to be removed and then you can access the diff. All really quite simple and nothing really in the way.

Back