Are stock diff gears plastic?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmypiratert

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I recently bought a s/hand maxx (pro15) and decided to put in a picco maxx 21. Then it started making the dreaded clicking noise in the rear diff. I decided (being a noob) that its best to buy a whole new diff, I did this and all was well. However recently i feel more confident and so took the old diff apart only to find that no gears were stripped at all (nor could they strip being metal) Instead a bearing has died and the actual bearings were loose inside the diff (Sticking to everthing cos of the grease. I have noticed a few mods on the maxx (alu diff collar, steering etc) Am i right in saying that stock diff has plastic gears and that my diff had been upgraded? Please dont tell me to search cos i just get loads of irrelevant info and not many of the posts warn you that your diff problems may be down to:
1.stripped gears
2.Loose ball bearing floating about jamming the gears

They are metal. Well mine are and I bought my 2.5 maxx new. u might want to clean the diff gears and regreasing them and cheakc the bearings to see if they stick or feel crunchy like sand has worked its way in to them.

i have heard that the dread clicking noise in the diffs are usually due to a bearing being blown(which just happened to me last week) or it is the spider gears. the spider gears are inside the plastic thing that the big metal gear bolts to so just take off the big gear and you will see them. timmy...if i were you you might want to check to see if thats the problem and yes they are metal gears you can just upgrade to like robinson instead of regular traxxas.

hope this helps

tyler

yea i am pretty sure on the .15 pro the gear were all plastic or in mine they are

Yea, I had to clear out alllll the grease cos there were bearings everywhere jamming stuff. I opened the diff right up alllll the way and every gear is metal (4 litle ones spider gears? a big one attached to a plastic tub encasing them and another small one that goes thru 2 bearings (6x12) and drives the big one) Now i have cleaned them all to a shine and emptied the case of all the bearing infested grease i just need 2 bearings (10x15) and some grease (Not sure what type/weight Anyone?) Then i will have three stock diffs, Yes? If traxxas diffs have metal spider gears AND the big one (ring and pinion) is metal too what is the reason to get an upgrade? What is better about the robinson ones? Can the traxxas ones strip even tho they are metal?

Yes the Pro 15 maxx had metal gears, and don't kid yourself, you certainly can strip metal gears. Check the gears, make sure no teeth are missing. Check all the gears, spider, pinion, and ring. Check all your bearings while you are in there. When you rebuild them be sure to properly shim them.

Maxx-Rider said:
yea i am pretty sure on the .15 pro the gear were all plastic or in mine they are
See the guy i bought from had had the maxx a long time cos it came with the old pro15 (no liner?) and 2 force 15 pullstart engine (one obviously fitted to the maxx) He had obviously had the diff out before because both have alu collars, I just thought he may have upgraded the gears as well :)

Ahh i see So theres no point in putting the old diff back in when i get new bearings? Just keep it as spare:) And yea i inspected evey tooth and there are a fewlittle marks where bearings had lain in certain grooves and been ground in hard but they are all still good.

Back