Are 1/8th scale buggies worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroWannabe

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I think the title about says it all....is buying a 1/8th scale kyosho or mugen really worth it?

I want to race, but I want to take it out and just run around for fun too. I'm just starting off with my 1/10th scale HPI 4wd, but around here I'm about the only one with a 1/10th scale 4wd so there isn't any competition for me, they let me run in the 2wd class, so its not a total loss...but I'd rather compete on even grounds.

My first thought was to get a 2wd 1/10th scale truck, but after some consideration I'm thinking about a 1/8th kyosho or mugen. But knowing very little about the rc racing scene and absolutly 0 about the 1/8th scale class, I have some questions....

Are they really worth the money?
Why are they so expensive?
Personal experience has shown the track to be much more forgiving than backyard bashing, will I be able to play rough with 1k toy? or is it best if left strickly for track?
After reading up on the two, they seem pretty even, but something tells me to go kyosho. Of the two, why is one better than the other?
Do they break alot? and are replacment parts expensive? (compared to 1/10th scale?

Basically I don't mind spending the money, as long as its worth it.

Oh, and the $750 version...is that really worth the money? I mean $450 is one thing, but is the $750 version worth doubling the price?

Are the 1/8th scale buggies worth it YES they are:D I dont have one of the two buggies you listed but Iv got an ofna buggy and love it. You can bash with a buggy its just like any rc your going to buy if you try to kill it you will. But if your a good driver you should see many long hours of fun from it. What you should do is check your LHS to see which buggy they carry and if they have a good parts supply for it.

Yea in my opinion the mugen is the best buggy. I own a mugen mbx-4 xr works buggy and I love it. They are definitely worth the money you pay for them, and they can take whatever you dish out to them. I love my mugen, in my opinion its the best 1/8 buggy money can buy.

BUY A BUGGY!!! they are completely worth it... as for bashing and racing, it depends. buy an ofna or gs, and u got a basher. kyosho or mugen, and u got a racer. i bought the kanai 2 the 750 dollar one. and lemme tell u something...it was worth every penny. i been driving buggies for about 9 years next month, and this is the best performer i have ever seen.:cheers: <----had to do that i dunno y

Well, my wallet was hoping you guys would discourage me...but nooooo...you had to encourge me!! BASTARDS! heh, but seriously, thanks for the feedback, my Inferno Sport 7.5 is inbound, hopefully tomorrow!

Is the Kyosho Mp 7.5 Sport a good buggy? i would race it a a loacl track aginst 9.5 and hyper 7s

Originally posted by Traxxas Maxx
Is the Kyosho Mp 7.5 Sport a good buggy? i would race it a a loacl track aginst 9.5 and hyper 7s

Any buggy can be good for racing if you set it up right and know how to drive it.

is the eginine in the sport a good engine???

Its a decent engine for bashing, but doesn't have the power for racing. It also tends to overheat and run very very hot.

Hi guys! my very first post!

I'm thinking about getting the Kyosho MP 7.5 buggy or the Mugen MBX-XR Works. I've heard i would need some set up tools to set up the XR. whats yor input on what buggy i should get?
thanks!

Got my Kyosho sport last weekend and did some running on it....engine sucks. I was running too hot (found out after the practice session, about 315), it was running the best it ever had, but yet the 1:10th scale guys were keeping up with me, disappointing.

Not to mention it doesn't like to hold a tune. I'll run a couple tanks just fine, then next time I run it I'll have to retune it. Very frustrating. Get a cool car, but its nowhere near as fast as I think it should be.

I'm going to be putting that engine in the parts pile as soon as I can.

I have the inferno Mp 7.5 Sports too! Get LOST man!! If u tune and break the engine in I promiss you, It has power!!!
I have a Pure Ten Alpha with a gs15R engine, but the Inferno F***s him off the road.. Let me race those 1/10 guys with my Inferno! I'm making 10 laps on the track, while they make 5!!!! :banana:

Just curious but why on earth did you drag up an almost 1 year old post? :confused:

I just wanted to say my oppinion..
:bow: dont be mad at me pleas?..
(its still a online thread) , , ,

i heard the inferno 7.5 is better than the sport due to using completly different setups and the sport lackign "hop ups"

my lightning pro lacks the same said "hop up selection" but it races great and bashes hard.. so not yet seen a need for any hop ups on it..

Storm RTR is the best RTR. Its the most durable of the RTRs and comes with a great stock engine. I've had mine for 3 months now and havnet had a problem

Iwe hade no brob with that. Here in Norway they sell all the parts that fits to 7.5 that allso fits the 7.5 Sports :cheeky:
My LHS (Small Size), is a great store!!They got all I need to my cars!!

The gx21 (7.5 sports) and the gs21 (7.5 kit) are ok engines. They are good bashers but have nowhere near the tourque or top end of the V01B, VZB, P5,WS7 or WS7II. Any flavor of the 7.5 is a nice buggy. The biggest drawbacks of the Sport are the tires, plastic spurgear, and shocks. Once you get past that your into some of the more high price items such as diffs, engine, chassis, brakes etc...

I think the title about says it all....is buying a 1/8th scale kyosho or mugen really worth it?

I want to race, but I want to take it out and just run around for fun too. I'm just starting off with my 1/10th scale HPI 4wd, but around here I'm about the only one with a 1/10th scale 4wd so there isn't any competition for me, they let me run in the 2wd class, so its not a total loss...but I'd rather compete on even grounds.

My first thought was to get a 2wd 1/10th scale truck, but after some consideration I'm thinking about a 1/8th kyosho or mugen. But knowing very little about the rc racing scene and absolutly 0 about the 1/8th scale class, I have some questions....

Are they really worth the money?
Why are they so expensive?
Personal experience has shown the track to be much more forgiving than backyard bashing, will I be able to play rough with 1k toy? or is it best if left strickly for track?
After reading up on the two, they seem pretty even, but something tells me to go kyosho. Of the two, why is one better than the other?
Do they break alot? and are replacment parts expensive? (compared to 1/10th scale?

Basically I don't mind spending the money, as long as its worth it.

Oh, and the $750 version...is that really worth the money? I mean $450 is one thing, but is the $750 version worth doubling the price?

yes they are worth it I've got a thunder tiger eb4 s2 pro and its amazing though it is expensive 2 repair and run. i would defo recomend it.!!

yea worth it! I've got a 1:8 tunder tiger eb4s2 pro its amazing get 1!