Anyone Rebuild a 3.3 Engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JettaManDan

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
think due to my own stupidity i burned out my 3.3 on my revo...lets just say 380 degrees on the temp gun when i check it after it stopped running :angry:..pretty sure the piston and sleeve are done....finding the set for like $45 online...how difficult is it to re-sleeve and put a new piston in? I have mechanical skillz but need to know what i am in for. Anyone have a DIY or do people just recommend a new engine? Any help or advice would be appreciated! TIA!

Dan

best thing to do is tear it down take the screws out of the head , back plate off the crank get the sleeve out use wood or plastic so you don't scratch any of the metal. and see what you have

cool cool..wasn't sure the sleeve would come out that easily..good info..thanks!

i don't know for sure...motor was running good till i did some stuff...might have aded too much drag with a 17mm hex convesion and some revo platnium tires...plus a hot day and not checking the tuning...truck was running good but then got slower...as i brought it in i saw some smoke from the head and it shut off...hit it with the temp gun real fast and it read 380 degrees...the glo plug got smoked....so took it back..changed it out - put some after run oil in it..let it cool - and the tried to restart - it took forever and it ran for about 10 seconds about 3 times but would then die..i'm thinking i hurt it and overheated it way too much...i'll try to run it again this weekend after i re-do some of the fuel lines and replace the melted EZ start harness....if it runs i'm good - if it won't i'm assuming i'd have to do a sleeve and a piston replacement....is my thought process correct?

if it is smoked i would personally either do the traxxas ERP. . .or upgrade ur motor

ERP? Replacement program? can get a motor cheaper online...

Well after much thought and debate - a rebuild costing me like $60 for parts shipped - and still wondering if that was the issue with my motor - i trolled on ebay for a week or 2 and got a deal on a new engine for less than $100 - traxxas does want only $115 for an exchange - but this saved me about $20+ on that and shipping...so - after everything else i will get the new motor and install next week..then have to break it in...i need to be able to bash this damm truck again after all the work i have done!