Anyone ran in sand before? anythign i should know?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan_454

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so I'm heading back up to washington this weekend and I'm taking my rc's with me. i picked up some pattles for my x-cellerator and can't wait to take her on the beach. I am just wondering what some thigns to do before i head out. I was thinking of takings somethign and wrapping the air filter for a little added protection. here is a pic of her as she sits.
IMAG0064.JPG

Make sure you have a very good airfilter and probably a fuel filter just in case. Other than that just make sure you clean it after your done. Those tires look awsome. Have fun!

I would plasti dip everything you can. Sand can be just as invasive as water. Sometimes more so.

I have an X-C it'll be a blast in the sand man.. they fly well

Bring some compressed air with you. Before you add fuel blow off around the fuel tank lid to keep the sand and silt out of the tank. If you have to change your plug or clean your air filter make sure you throughly clean everything before removing. 1 grain of sand in the mill will torch it.

I have run in the sand many times living 5 minutes away from the beach and love it. the only problem is when you get home and have to clean the rigs. It takes hours to get all the sand out. If you can bring compressed air but I never did it until I got home and I was fine just be careful and use common sense. And sealed bearings are a must unless you want to toast your bearings in one session.

On top of everything that is mentioned, be aware that sea air is highly corrosive due to the salt content generated by sea spray. If you are running on an ocean beach, be certain to rinse your ride off really well at the end of the day to get rid of any salt. This stuff can kill engines, electronics, bearings, etc.

A dual stage air filter is a must....and I believe everyone else covered the rest.

Back