anyone on this site done it

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyd

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
has anyone made a hybrid yet. i was thinking about it. it can't be to hard. it would be like switching a nitro car into reverse but instead of a the servo putting it into reverse the 3 channel will turn on the esc allowing for the motor to run the car if it runs out of gas. right? :stick:

Some boats have it. I think one is the Nitro-Vee by Traxxas. They call it RTS (return to shore). If you can find a manual for it check it out, it may give you an idea on how it works and how it's wired up.

One of the the problems is this.
Even if you get a pinion gear on the spur with an electric motor, in addition to the pinion from the nitro engine, the electric motor will spin the still engaged pinion on the nitro engine after the engine has run out of gas.
When it gets up to a certain RPM, the clutch will engage on the engine making the electric motor unable to turn the engine of the nitro.

It might work at slow speeds only.

With all due respect, i don't think the clutches will engage. Since only the bell is spinning, not the clutches...

but, you would have to have a clutch on the electic side, too. so the electric isn't causing drag and stuff on the engine while it's running.

There would just be too many problems with the whole thing when you really get down to it.

1: You would have to decide which way to wire it up. you could put both the motor and the mill on the spur. you could somehow rig it to accept the motor as an assit to turning the crankshaft or something...

2: You would have to find a way to sync both the motor and the mill to an EXACt degree, ensuring they both turn in unison with each other- not creating any drag or pull therefore straining one or the other.

3: You would have to find way to hook them both up to the same channel- the throttle one. I don't know if there is a rx/tx package with that kind of setup, but you might be able to use one of the ones with two steering servos.

4: What would be the point? the main reason for a hybrid is for fuel economy... I would think the engine would still use just about the same ammount of Nitro with a lightened load as it would with the full load on it. You might be able to get it all correct abd MAYBE get an extra two minutes of runtime, but with the added weight of an ESC., Motor, Battery pack and so forth the load would be even worse ultimately defeating the purpose.

it is feesable.. but he would have to have the electric not enguaged to the spur untill he hits a switch on the radio, so the engine isnt spinning the motor the whole time, the on/off could be covered with the same switch, you could install a y splitter in the throtle servo and run that to the esc, and the reason would be plain old lazyness.. when he runs outa gas he doesn't want to have to walk over there and pic it up.. he can enguage the electric motor and drive it back..

beason said:
the reason would be plain old lazyness.. when he runs outa gas he doesn't want to have to walk over there and pic it up.. he can enguage the electric motor and drive it back..
thats one reason i want to try it and to do something different. :transform

You can have a motor to boost the power on acceleration plus to bring it home. One of Honda hybrid sport car is planning to make 3 liter engine car feels like 6 liter engine car. When you press WOT, the motor kicks in. This might be a waste if the car already has high rpm (unless you add sensor). if the engine quites, just go for WOT and the motor would run the car. You can also use one way bearing on the motor that attach to spur gear. I hope my english is not confusing to you guys.

An easy way is to use a one-way bearing on the electric motor, which would allow it to 'spin free' when the nitro is in use.

I have seen the RTS boats, and they really seem to take a lot out of the hobby. The boat also uses a complete other system for retrival, and it is powered by a very small source, enough for a couple minutes of runtime.

Don't most RTR MT's (electric) come with two motors to push it around? I don't know what this guy is trying to put this "hybrid" thing on, but I seriously doubt it would be succesfull on an MT of ANY kind.

hes not going for extra speed.. or a performance boost, or longer run time, or anything..

all his system has to do is make the truck driveable. that way if hes accross the yard and it runs out of go juice, he can flip a switch, the electric engages, and he drived back to the fill up area.

just like the rts boats it doenst have to be big and bad and fast. just able to bring it home..

go for it man.. i like the oneway on the electric idea better then trying to move it back and forth..

set up the third channel to turn the esc on and off, and put a y on the throtle servo.
then when you hit the switch the esc turns on and you can use the same throttle for the electric. when its off the motor just sets there and the one way does its job. the only extra rotationg mass will be the pinion and oneway, so that isnt to much for the added feature..

1500valk said:
With all due respect, i don't think the clutches will engage. Since only the bell is spinning, not the clutches...

You are 100% right.
Your spinning the bell and not the engine.
Sorry for my bad info, and thanks for correcting me. :cheers:

dannyd :Invention and creativity are responsible for every thing you use in life! . Your Idea can be done if you put the effort into it And it does not have to have a porpose . If no one followed threw with there ideas then we all would be sitting in a tree waiting for lightning to strike so we could start a fire to get worm instead of just hitting a switch

Da Hellion said:
dannyd :Invention and creativity are responsible for every thing you use in life! . Your Idea can be done if you put the effort into it And it does not have to have a porpose . If no one followed threw with there ideas then we all would be sitting in a tree waiting for lightning to strike so we could start a fire to get worm instead of just hitting a switch

I'm going to try it but i dont know if i want to use my nrs4 mt or buy one of the used nitro cars and trucks at the hobby shop i go to. they have some stadium trucks and retired touring cars for sale. some less then a rtr micro rs4. either way i have to save up.

Definately post a build thread; it'll be interesting to see the concept in action.

does anyone know of a good camera so i can post pics when i start? but doesn't cost alot. i dont know what alot is because i never bought a camera before. so if its cheap to you let me know. :ponder2:

I've got an el'cheapo Argus .6 megapixel that's good, but not for details... You'll want at least a 3 megapixel camera for DECENT details. Kodaks' easy shares are good.