Anyone else Disturbed by this?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryson

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This makes me sick!
http://http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/13/science/sci-collider13
I truly feel that some crazy scientist will oneday end earth, something along the lines of this and I feel it really disturbing, and it really makes me mad. Call me what you want, but I hate the feeling that someone I dont even know can ruin it for us all! I could have put this in the free for all section with the way I feel about it but I wanted to see how everyone felt about it! I mean why in the hell dose this world need something that will make a 3rd deminison or some BS anyway. And the black hole thing, really makes me want to puke, it says it may not start to eat earth now but maby one day, oh great! Thats just how I feel and wanted to know your oppions on the matter. Oh and if you want to see more stuff on this, just google, Atom Smasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link is not working for me.

The scientist guy actually wants a tiny black hole to appear.
I don't see why if it even had the possibility of a black hole coming out they would ever allow him to go through with it. Just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Eh, it's all hypothetical anyways. I wouldn't worry about it until I get smashed down to the rough equivalent of a grain of sand.

Life is too short. Live while ya can, and don't worry about things that aren't reality.

There are some things I just dont want to know.
If they had told us a GOOD reason for this 8 billion dollar contraption to be built then maybe, but I guess there must be a reason or no one would have put up the money.
I'm happy living in my own little world, making my own little assumptions about things.... Actually knowing the truth might be a bit of a party killer.

Nuclear Fusion is the only real answer to our lust for energy. At least that's the way I understand things. These particle accelerators are just baby steps toward maintaining a sustained fusion reaction. That would be the sun gentleman. Pretty much an unlimited source of energy. Not to mention any other after affects it may generate. For instance, when hydrogen atoms are fused, not only does it produce an enormous amount of energy, it also creates helium. Did you know that we as a planet are on the verge of running out of helium? Last time I heard it was around the 20 year mark. At least that's what's publisized. I'd guess it may be longer.. But still, 20 years is right around the corner and we may be nearly completely out of helium. Helium isn't something we just make, it's mined and refined, just like oil and natural gas. There's alot more to helium beside balloons and running out creates obstacles for our societies.

This is a good thing fellas. Don't let the instagators (otherwise known as the press or media) scare you. Many of us have been living on the same technologies that completely destroyed 2 major cities some 40 years ago.

The story about the earth-swallowing black hole was the biggest load of unfounded bullshit I ever saw. Of course, because it sounded controversial the media couldn't help latching onto it and sensationalising it to the extent where it all got out of hand.

I think you may be getting your spleen in a knot over nothing, in my opinion. Don't take everything you read at face value, especially if it's on the internet or attached to any sort of media company. One thing my University education (in rocks, believe it or not) taught me was the crucial importance of objectivity when assessing anything.

I think everyone is over rating this hype, what if all it's designed to do is cook a burrito in 2 seconds? Sounds tasty to me.

There is no way in hell this guy is going to make anything that can suck more life out of this planet then my ex.

There is no way in hell this guy is going to make anything that can suck more life out of this planet then my ex.

thanks man, you just took a totally useless thread and made me LMAO!

thats great, just great!:first_place:

too many words and not enough pictures

Again, the only way I'd be even the slightest bit nervous is if this character were behind it:

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

So i got to thinking about it and why not invest 8 billion dollars into reasearch on aids or maby cancer or something like that matter. I just dont under stand the importance of this lol.

Me neither. But I read something about this and I felt it was true. They said that the black holes won't be humongoid, only microscopic, not even seen by the human eye. They also said if one did appear at its micro size, it would only last for a few seconds.

Exactly my point though, 8 billion for something no one will see!

This technology is something that we may never see benefits of, but our grandkids may get to see.

If we are to continue as a society as we know it, energy is the only thing we need to learn more about... considering life expectancy is high and population growth is ridiculous. We will have sucked everything we can out of this planet in the next 100 years... it's about time we start investing in a resource that can teach us instead of stealing it from the ground.

This technology is something that we may never see benefits of, but our grandkids may get to see.

If we are to continue as a society as we know it, energy is the only thing we need to learn more about... considering life expectancy is high and population growth is ridiculous. We will have sucked everything we can out of this planet in the next 100 years... it's about time we start investing in a resource that can teach us instead of stealing it from the ground.

I'd be surprised if we make it 100 years before depleting the earth of some of it's natural resources. The world as a whole is so concerned about 'me' that we'll be lucky to make it 100 years without a major melt down of some sorts. I like to always refer back to George Carlin's theory about things, 'Mother Nature' will take care of herself, weather it be a plague, epidemic, or massive natural disaster, she'll balance the scales to her favor.......even if it takes an 'ice age' to do it. Just my opinion.

The aim of CERN's project is to understand the fundamental operation of matter. It goes way beyond cancer, or aids or any other scientific investigation. understanding the fundamental building blocks of all matter and how matter and energy inter-relate could in decades to come open up a vast range of opportunities.

Initially it would be the key to understanding things like how to create and control useable Controlled Fusion Reactions, which would create enough energy that the need for conventional fossil fuels for electricity would disappear.

It also could provide us with information that would allow us to alter the behaviour of elements and compounds for a particular purpose. You never know, a cure for cancer or aids might even be created using customised chemical compounds.

I'd be surprised if we make it 100 years before depleting the earth of some of it's natural resources. The world as a whole is so concerned about 'me' that we'll be lucky to make it 100 years without a major melt down of some sorts. I like to always refer back to George Carlin's theory about things, 'Mother Nature' will take care of herself, weather it be a plague, epidemic, or massive natural disaster, she'll balance the scales to her favor.......even if it takes an 'ice age' to do it. Just my opinion.

George Carlin was spot on with that one, all this 'Save the Planet' bull is so much stuff and nonsense, it's actually a 'Save Yourselves' campaign :p

I don't know, the human race has endured a lot over the last million years, I think it'll carry on, things will change dramatically somewhere down the line, though.

Last edited:
Back