Any useful lessons and tips for a newbie?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all.

So my brief story is I woke up one morning and had a vision of bashing a nitro 4WD around my folks farm with my kids.

After 6 weeks of google searches gathering inspiration I landed on a Losi 8ight 4.0 kit.

I spent the next 2 months joining this forum and learning as much as I could about servos, batteries, radios, receivers, engines and pipes. I’m now comfortable.

So before I set off building in July I thought I’d ask for some lessons learned, hints and tips.

Thanks all

Use good tools.
Use threadlock on all metal->metal screws.
Use patience when breaking in your new engine.
Get a temp gun and keep the temps below 270F until you know what an engine sounds like, smoke amount and general performance are when tuned properly.

Have fun!

Use good tools.
Use threadlock on all metal->metal screws.
Use patience when breaking in your new engine.
Get a temp gun and keep the temps below 270F until you know what an engine sounds like, smoke amount and general performance are when tuned properly.

Have fun!
+1 to this! especially the patience!
also no question is a dumb question. we all started this hobby knowing little to nothing about it, experience is key but help from others, will build that faster.

Yes Mate , be prepared to blow your top now and again !
And leave a blank cheque at the model shop
You’ll either want to own more or need a bundle ofspares ?
Happy to help If have any issues along the way. Predominately into Brushless Now but have years of experience of Racing Nitro .
?

20% Nitro with a 15% oil content works fine for Jock itch but just make sure you are in a soundproof room where the screaming won't disturb your neighbors.

If you use a pull start, put the handle between your ring and middle finger instead of making a fist. This prevents you from man handling the thing and pulling out the ripcord eventually and also will help prevent blisters at first.

Some more probably obvious tips but hey, i could have used them when starting out....
If it wont start and the glowplug tests OK, make sure there is fuel getting to the carb - pretty much anytime a car of mine won't start, it's because i didn't prime enough.
Oh yeah and if you get too much fuel primed and hydrolock the engine (ripcord won't pull easily) just take out the glowplug and dump out the fuel. Forcing it rarely ends well :)

If you use a pull start, put the handle between your ring and middle finger instead of making a fist. This prevents you from man handling the thing and pulling out the ripcord eventually and also will help prevent blisters at first.

Some more probably obvious tips but hey, i could have used them when starting out....
If it wont start and the glowplug tests OK, make sure there is fuel getting to the carb - pretty much anytime a car of mine won't start, it's because i didn't prime enough.
Oh yeah and if you get too much fuel primed and hydrolock the engine (ripcord won't pull easily) just take out the glowplug and dump out the fuel. Forcing it rarely ends well :)
Thanks so much!!

Don't have your face over it when deflooding. I usually flip the truck over, pull the cord a few times quick to blow out the fuel, then usually it will fire up quick, albeit a bit rich/blubbery for a bit.

After every run I always use HPI After run oil to keep that engine from seizing up and to keep it in top form! Glow plug out, 5 drops in, turn it over once and glow plug back in (but don't strip the thread!)

After every run I always use HPI After run oil to keep that engine from seizing up and to keep it in top form! Glow plug out, 5 drops in, turn it over once and glow plug back in (but don't strip the thread!)

Lol? I got fed up buying exuberant prices after run, I just use a baby syringe suck up some left over casterol magnatec 5w-30
It’s a bit of a Bugger to Start, but I take the glow plug out give a Spin over on the starter box with a rag over the top . Get the excess out . If it’s good enough my Car it’s good enough for the model engine .

Lol? I got fed up buying exuberant prices after run, I just use a baby syringe suck up some left over casterol magnatec 5w-30
It’s a bit of a Bugger to Start, but I take the glow plug out give a Spin over on the starter box with a rag over the top . Get the excess out . If it’s good enough my Car it’s good enough for the model engine .
if i dont have ARO, i use Marvel Mystery Oil, or some WD40 if its short term. engine oil is hell on real cars combustion chambers/valves :p

I don't use after run oil ,never have ,an may never will!
I use to run my stuff on a weekly basis ,so that's why I never use it ,some of my stuff has set
for a year or two ,they still fire up an run!

Back