any ideas??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny530

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok just picked up a tmaxx 2.5 it had a bad one way starter bearing it was an easy 25 dollar fix...well now its starting and running but when the truck goes to take off it jerks and makes a clicking noise then just goes like everything is normal. hopefully someone can give me a diagnosis with this vague disription of wat is happening not really sure how else to discribe it though my buddy said it might be my diff not havein oil just thought id see if anyone here has had a simmular problem thanks in advance

Does it still have reverse? It sounds typical of a stock Maxx trans with reverse. There is another clutch inside the trans to help with switching from fwd to rev that causes this off-idle jerking. It's hard to tune out all of the jerkiness,the best fix is a forward only conversion kit in the trans. Makes the truck drive much better IMO.

I was finally ready to run my t-maxx for the first time since i got it used from a guy at work. needs some tuning, but i think i am getting what you are calling the "off -idle jerking".
The servos were slow to respond and the donor truck I got with the deal was happy to part with its servos. Thats when i started thinking about just leaving the reverse servo off. how exspensive is the forward only conversion?

yeah it has reverse. yesterday when i was using the truck it got stuck in reverse after i shut it off and used it a couple hrs later forward and reverse where working. does this mean a bad servo and could this be a cause of the jerking

No. The jerking is caused by the reverse parts in the tranny. A forward only conversion is about $10. Makes for a much stouter tranny and much better performing vehicle. Very simple to install as well. You just can't remove the servo. The forward/reverse linkage will just flop around, causing the vehicle to get caught between gears. If your running the 4 aa holder to power the electronics, upgrading to a 5 cell rechargeable hump pack is the first thing you want to do. They supply more current over a longer period of time and really wake your servos up.

I run the single speed as well, where my 2.5 tranny strips every time i fix it, I'm tearing my maxx down right now to do some rebuilding to the engine, when i get a little further, ill snap some pictures for you, of the 2.5 tranny 2-forward 1-reverse, and single speed to show you the differences, i have to say, have not had a single problem with the single speed, but not having reverse can sometimes be a little crappy, but they are way more dependable i think, only thing i found to be a pain when going from the original transmission and the single speed, is that the differentials have to be flipped, in mine anyway, not sure if it is in all cases.....

yeah it has the rechargable battery in it already along with the fail safe. i hate the idea of getting rid of reverse it is so usefull lol but if it will take that jerking away ima have to do it because that jerking sounds like its gunna break somthing one day also with this converstion i will lose my second gear?

Last edited:
yeah it has the rechargable battery in it already along with the fail safe. i hate the idea of getting rid of reverse it is so usefull lol but if it will take that jerking away ima have to do it because that jerking sounds like its gunna break somthing one day also with this converstion i will lose my second gear?

no, you dont lose your second gear but you get a much stronger transmission and lose reverse:) reverse is a cool feature but after installing the forward only in my maxx years ago i was glad it was gone

I'm sold on the forward only , thanks MHM

Glad to help. It's definitely the best $10 I've spent on my Maxx.

Back