Another way to clear a flooded engine.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Most of us were taught to take out the glow plug and flip things upside down and let the fuel run out. That works, of course, but the other day my engine flooded and I had so much crap inside the cooling head around the glow plug that I really didn't want to mess with all that right then. I wanted to get up and running in a hurry. I simply pinched the fuel line (closer to the carb the better) and ran it on my starter box for a few seconds. It cycled all the fuel out and I was up and running in no time.

and what if your motor is hydrolocked??? gunna hurt something then....

If it's hydrolocked you could just loosen the plug a tad and then run it on the box. Even if there's tons of crap around the plug if you just loosen it up a tiny bit nothing will get in there.

Good point masterbeavis. I should have included that in my original thread. My post was just for a flooded engine and not one that was hydra-locked. I think GilBeQuick has taken our two good points and made it into one good one.

I dont know about this. I tried this with my mt2 t.15 roto. just didnt work for me. I dono maybe I'm doing it wrong, I mean i am pretty new to this only 5 moths into this. But I find myself either just cranking throug or taking out the plug.
p.s Will I damage something doing that? do you think I could have a compression prob if I can just keep cranking with the roto starter? I mean to say I rarely get hrydro blocked. Is this a sign that something could be wrong?
:shrug:

in a pinch i take my fuel bottle squirt a little fuel down there to clean up some of the crud around the glow plug, loosen the plug just a little and yank the pullstart or run it on the box (whatever your engines uses to start) untill some fuel is cleared out. always works for me.

I've been using that technique and it works every time. Pinch the line, run the starter, and as soon as it fires, let go of the line. Effortless. I have yet to see any engine get so flooded that it locks.

Rolex said:
I've been using that technique and it works every time. Pinch the line, run the starter, and as soon as it fires, let go of the line. Effortless. I have yet to see any engine get so flooded that it locks.

listen to the man if you turned the engine over so much that got enough fuel in the engine that you hydrolocked your engine, reread your ouick start guide several times!! lol

I've only had hydro lock a few times... that was when I was new. Even then, it was due to either a dead glow heater or bad plug. But even still, when it's flooded, I pull the plug and give it a few quick yanks with it on it's side. I clean out my plug area evertime before I go out. But I don't run in to much mud or muck and if it does flood, it's before I drive it that day as I'm trying to get it going.

I find most flooding problems are due to a bad glow plug, dead heater or the head temp is to cool, especially this time of the year. I've been putting my truck up front in my car and blasting the heat until I get where I'm bashing. Normally starts on the second pull then.

I just open the gas cap and open the throttle all the way. once i hear it stutter a little bit i go on and off of the throttle until it starts. If you leave your throttle closed then you are going to just keep sucking fuel into your engine. Its allways worked fine for me. Sometimes the engine will rev up a bit though.

man this is an old thread,

anyway, hydro lock is when you get to much fuel in the cylinder and the piston cannot compress the liquid like it can air. SO the engine gets stuck

I clear a flooded engine using the starter box method (EZ start, roto start or pullstart; depending on which one you have), but I also disconnect the fuel line from the carb instead of pinching it.

Last edited:
you can pull the glow plug out and start pulling the starter with a tissue in the whole,thats for a nitro engine

yea true i have tried that and if its hydrolocked its really hard to even pull the starter i think its just best to open up the plug and give it a clean

Back