Another Tmaxx Steering Problem!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxxPower

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm terribly sorry if this is a repost but after a few minutes searching I can't really find an answer to this question. I just upgraded to the RPM A arms and the install went great. After I got it all put back together the front tires would not steer at all. I took off the tires and loosened the pivot balls a bit which helped. I was able to run the truck for a few minutes then I lost all steering. The servo tries to turn the wheels left and right but they don't move. It's like there just isn't enough power to steer. If I try to turn left there is also a bad clicking noise and the wheels don't move. Any advice? If anyone has a link to any other posts about this or any info I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

did u take off your front skid when you did the arms?

Probably stripped the horn or output on the servo from trying to turn the tires with the pillow balls locked down. Pop the horn off of the servo and have a look. You running one or two steering servos?

Probably stripped the horn or output on the servo from trying to turn the tires with the pillow balls locked down. Pop the horn off of the servo and have a look. You running one or two steering servos?

Only one servo on the maxx right?

Only one servo. And no I did not remove the front skid

Like Matt said, it's probably a stripped servo. Good news is throwing a stronger servo on is recommended anyway, if you have the change this is a good one, if not you can look on ebay. I found an older version of the one I linked to and was able to get it for $45 shipped, they have chop shops that part out new trucks and you can get a stronger than stock one (assuming your running the 2055) for pretty cheap. If it's a newer version you may have a 2070 which has 125oz of torque in which case you would have to get an aftermarket one to get much higher, 200+ oz of tq is what most recommend.

Check the servo with nothing on it, or pull it apart and check the gears, the pivot balls may have still been a little tight.

Thanks everyone, think I'm going to upgrade

Schrodemode, will that servo work with the 3.3 as a bolt on or will I need to make any mods?

Schrodemode, will that servo work with the 3.3 as a bolt on or will I need to make any mods?

The only thing you will have to do is get the correct adapter for the servo saver, if you purchased the truck new it may be with the parts/tool bag, if not I believe a new servo saver will come with the different inserts. If it's a new version of the 3.3, with the new style steering you'll have to grab a 5345X, it is the adapter set for the new setup. Other than that it should just drop in, you may have to tweak the steering and endpoints once you get it in. What radio system are you using?

It's just the stock TQi system. Other than the RPM A-arms everything else is the stock set up. I also noticed that the HS servo can be ordered with 180 or 90 degrees of rotation. Which would be required?

Last edited:
I believe 180 will be fine, you just adjust the endpoints using the radio. Does your's have the iPhone dock?

No I don't have the iPhone dock yet.

I'm not familiar with the newer Traxxas radios, I use Spektrum for my 2.4 and Traxxas' old 27mhz. Here's the manual, page 14 has the menu tree, this is how you adjust the endpoints, I suggest reading it a few times to get familiar with it before actually setting it, either that or call Traxxas and have them walk you through it.

Thanks for all your help SchrodeMode! I had a little time today so I took my servo apart and found the problem right away. There were several gear teeth floating around in there. That was totally my fault for having the pivot balls to tight. I ordered the HC5995TG and the metal gears should save me from that stupid mistake again. I will let ya know how it goes. Thanks again.

No problem man. With the torque that thing puts out, you'll have no problem turning the tires plus if you decide to switch to a lipo rx pack, it's already rated to handle it. I'd throw the old servo in a parts bin, you never know when you could use parts off of it.

Got the new servo installed and upgraded to a hump pack. That huh torque servo really makes a big difference highly recommended!

Make sure you have a servo savor, if you do make sure its not binding, or you could break that new servo again.

Yep good thinking. I hope the all metal gears will hold up better too. I also picked up an extra gear set just incase.