Another Craigslist score

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Was browsing craigslist and stumbled across an add wanting to trade a savage XL so I offered a remington 870 pump worth about $300 but not worth much to me cause I never use it.

I went and picked up the XL today and they guy had it in the original box and told me it didnt even have a full tank through it because they could never get it running. I brought it home dropped a McCoys MC-59 in it and some fuel and leaned the needles a bit and it fired right off. I did the three tanks of idle time and got two of the half throttle break-in tanks done before the reciever pack died.

Even after running all the break-in tanks this motor still has so much pinch I can't turn it over with my finger on the flywheel.

And now for what everyone is waiting for ... Pics

2012-08-25_17-55-18_391.jpg

2012-08-25_17-55-24_221.jpg

2012-08-25_17-55-37_142.jpg

2012-08-25_17-55-45_312.jpg

2012-08-25_17-56-04_124.jpg

Very nice!

its unfortunate that some folk don't know how to tune there nitro's and even dumber not to take it in to a lhs for them to fire it up if they really can't do it....oh well, one's misfortune is another's success.

on a HUGE plus, its never been thrashed about!!

bet it won't stay as clean as it is right now :D

Great score. Now wax it and put it up where it can't get dirty. :D

I already put green fuel line on it just for you.

---------- Post added at 8:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:33 PM ----------

Really having a tough time getting this thing to run decent ... It seems to run ok but will just cut out at random times for no apparent reason. I guess I will dive into it in the morning and pull the engine apart and give it a good sealing and look for any obvious problems.

I think alot of the problem is just how tight the pinch is on this motor and it only has about 8-10 tanks on it now. I have noticed that it really wants to get hot in a hurry if your tune is even the slightest bit off.

If it quits suddenly and heats up quickly your LSN is probably too lean.
Let it warm up and then do the pinch test on the fuel line close to the engine and count how many seconds till it quits.

Yeah here is my problem ... the LSN goes from to lean to bogging and dieing rich within about 1/10th of a turn and so far has needed almost constant adjustment.

It just seems like the truck is either running hot or wont idle the middle point is very tough to find.

Here's some advice: run the hsn at 1.5 turns in from the groove and then tune from there. This was my major problem with it dying and not idling right. One way to tell its lean is if you here it machine gunning from a high speed run to a lower idle. Also tune the mid range if you do and the lsn with the engine off and the carb open. To keep the temps down cut a hole in front windshield. Hope this helps, Steve.

Can I suggest? tune the car only 1/2 of fuel on the tank. caused before I had also problem tuning my savage x, when its full thank its very rich and when the fuel 1/2 of the tank it becomes lean. so tune the car in a half tank of fuel. So that if you finished tuned your car ready for bashing or racing even you put a full tank of fuel for the start it will be a little bit rich but trust me it will be fine, and even your tank almost near to empty your tune will be on safe side. And it depends on how you judge the car running while you're tuning.

Alright Rolex close your eyes!

2012-08-26_15-28-05_969.jpg

2012-08-26_15-28-12_695.jpg

Ran about 1/2 gallon through it at my local bashing spot and it really opened up nice. This thing has a nasty mid tank lean problem to the point that it is so rich with a full tank it will barely run and runs amazing toward the bottom of the tank. Finally just started filling the tank about 3/4 full and running a little rich and it was amazing.

I dont know why I ever started with a Revo when there is something as amazing as a Savage XL on the market. I ran this thing for over an hour on some huge jumps and it just takes anything you throw at it and keeps going like nothing every happened and this is BOX STOCK!

It jumps so much nicer than either of my revos and has tons of low end grunt which is all I really care about when bashing. It is slightly lacking on the top end but I could care less for the way I run it.

I think its starts with a 4 but i dont remember past that. Nice score bro!

if you haven't check all the o-rings on the needles on my 5.9 i had 3 bad orings. one was so bad that when i adjusted my low speed needle it moved my mid with it.

lol...no ..it wont give it to you...but it will dial it for you ;) ...you better hurry up before your diaper fills up and you make a stain on the floor :p::hehe:

Back